Things Just Happen As They Happen

Things have been going pretty good for Kayla so far. If you put aside her very dysfunctional home, and being picked on by people at school. But she at least has some people to talk to. Her and Trevor have become very close over these past months. They have hung out after school, gone to each others houses, studied together. Trevor even had the opportunity to hang out with the "popular" people but he saw how they treated Kayla and cut all communications with them. She has even made really good friends with Mr. Knickson. They have been tutoring every Friday after school in his class room to prepare her for her Biology test at the end of the year so she can receive her Advanced Diploma when she graduates next year. So things have been going great for her lately.

The school day had ended and everyone is leaving for the day. You could almost hear you own pen drop in the hallway. All you can hear is the constant dumping of trash from the janitor. Even the teachers don't hesitate to leave this place. Sometimes I think they're more eager to leave than the students. I start making my way to my locker.

"Did you catch the basketball game last night?" Trevor says sneaking up behind me at my locker.

"Crap, you scared me" I say trying to get my heartbeat back on track. We both laugh.

"Sorry" he says.

"I did. It was close. Too close actually." I say putting away my books I don't need in my locker.

"We have a back to back so we play again tonight. You want to come over tonight. My mom just brought some frozen pizzas we can pop one of those bad boys in the oven and watch the game." He asks.

"That sound amazing actually but I can't. I'm trying out for the girls volleyball team and I need to go see my doctor so I can get physical. Deadline is Monday." I say kind of disappointed.

"Oh okay. Maybe I should try out for a team" he questions himself.

"Heck yeah. You're really good at basketball Trevor, you should do boys basketball. I think they have tryouts next month." I encourage.

"Hmm, I might" he says smiling.

"Well, I got to go. I have to go tell Mr. Knickson I have to bail out on today's tutoring." I say locking my locker.

"Okay. I'll text you later" he says walking off.

"Okay. And Trevor. " I say stopping him in his tracks.

"Yeah?"

"Another basketball game comes on Sunday so save a frozen pizza for then and I'll text you to see if I can come over" I smile.

"Sounds like a plan" he says continuing to walk away. I turn around and head upstairs to Mr. Knicksons classroom. When I open the door he's sitting at his desk on his phone. And there's a Biology textbooks siting on his desk waiting to be used for our tutoring session. I knock on the door to get his attention. When he sees me he smiles and stands up as if he was in the army and I was his Sargent.

"Hey Kayla come in" he says waving me in.

"Hi" I say striding in.

"I got the book all out and ready for us" he points out.

"Yeah, about that. I can't stay today." I say with a low voice. He gives me a sort of disappointed frown.

"Why?" He asks

"I have a doctors appointment to go to. But I can totally stay double next week to squeeze in what we couldnt do toda-"

"You know this is very inconvenient. You could have told me" he says shaking his head taking a few step closer.