Things Just Never Change

On my way home on the bus, I go sit in my signature spot. I'm usually the first person on the bus. Because everyone is stopping to talk to there friends before getting on the bus, so I will usually be sitting on the bus for 5 mins waiting for the crowd of kids to get on the bus. When I get off the bus I go straight in my backyard. I read a few pages of my astronomy book while letting the cool breeze flow by me as I swing on my tire swing. Around 20 minutes later I hear my dad come in yelling, practically talking to himself. Then I remember its Tuesday and he's always drinking Tuesday's because beer is half off at the Luke's Bar up the road from our home.

"Kayla!" He yells from the front.

I ignore. I hear him enter the house cause he practically slams the front door.

"Kayla! I know you're here girl!"

I still ignore. Then he comes through the back door. He walks outside. It looked like all the blood rushed to his eyes, they were so red. He had barley any control of his balance. His equilibrium was shot. Who would do this to themselves every week. My grandmother actually told me once that he was never a drinker. It all went downhill when my mom passed and the divorces started rolling in. But still. You have children. Lead as an example.

"You didn't hear me calling you little girl?"

"Yes I heard you but … " I attempt to say

“...And why you back here anyway, I'm tired of you always back here reading like a weirdo, why can't you be normal and be with friend like normal girls do!" he yells.

"I don't have many friends, you know that…" I say a very calm voice trying to not let his words effect me.

"Now you’re getting smart with me?!" he yells in my face, grabbing my arm with all the force in his body. His terrible alcohol breath makes me want to gag and throw up.

I shrug him off.

"No! I'm not getting smar-…" I yell then I stop myself.

"You know what… Forget it..." I say, then I start walking away pissed off. I pick up my bag off the grass and I start walking down my block. 

"I can't do this crap every week!" I say angrily through my teeth.

"Kayla!" My dad yells 

“You better not go to far cause I’m not waisting gas to come get you" he yells practically slurring his words.

I roll my eyes and continue walking. Then I think. Music. Music always soothes my nerves. Whether I'm scared, angry, or sad. I dig in my bag and pull out my phone and headphones and put my music on full blast. The luke warm breeze helps relax me from all the foolish activities I had to face these past hours. I walk for 15 minutes before I reach "Daniel's Diner". A cup of coffee would be amazing right now. I walk up to the diner and push open the door. When you walk in you hear the bells connected to the top if the door and you can smell the amazing aroma of coffee. When I scope the small place, I see a small available booth made with red leather cushions and a black table. I sit down and let out a huge sigh. I rub my temples trying to relieve the headache that was trying summon itself on me. An older woman comes to my table with a pen and pad. Her name tag spells out the name "Lauren". She looks like she's in her 40's. She has blond dyed hair. I could tell because her roots were brown. She had long red nails that could poke someone's eye out. And she was popping her gum as if she was paid to do it. It was making my headache worse.

"Hello sweetheart, our special today is a triple down cheeseburger with bacon with doubled fried french fries" she says in an arrogant way. As if she didn't want to even be there to take my order.