32: Cold & Quiet

Before you read, I would like to just ask that some of you return back to Chapter 17 if you have anymore questions about Gabrielle's situation before now. Anything in regards to her child having the same name as Gio, when he died, how old he was, if she was married, etc. Please reread CHAPTER 17 for the answers.

And to my keen readers, if you see questions in the comments that you know the answer to; feel free to answer them. I truly don't mind.

Anyways, happy reading.

Hope you guys still love me.

Gabrielle Rogers

1 Week Later

Cold, empty and loud.... And I'm not talking about the interrogation room I sat in, I'm talking about what was going on my head. This was the fourth time that I had been here since the week started and for some reason, they just wouldn't accept my wishes, they wouldn't process me as the person I claimed to be. But I was... what I said I was, I was a murderer.

And no, I didn't pull the trigger, but it was my bad luck that caused these people to die. The bad cards that were handed down to me from the generations ahead. I didn't deserve to be out there, not only did I fear for my life, but I also feared for the lives of the ones around me. No matter how much I wanted it, no matter how much I tried. I was just not cut out, to live a normal life.

"Rogers!" I looked up slowly, into the face of the detective that sat across the table from me. "Please, pay attention."

"I'm listening." I said, while clearing my throat. I reached across the table and took a sip of the hot water I had asked for. Water, was the only thing that entered my body over the last few days and I was beginning to feel its effects.

"We were saying that due to the lack of evidence, we can't charge you with what you claimed to do... there was no gun powder found on you, your story is inconsistent, if you did shoot the deceased; there wouldn't have blood on you, after watching video evidence finally; we know that you were on the scene... but you weren't the one with the gun. Gabrielle, you didn't do this."

"I did." I nodded, slowly. "I told you before and I'm going to tell you again... we got into an ar-."

"I'm going to stop you right there." The other detective held up her hand, "we have heard this same fabricated story for the past couple of days and to be honest, it's getting tiring. Instead of trying to take the fall for this, in order to protect yourself, we need the truth. We need to know who you saw, was it a familiar face?"

"I didn't see anyone, because I was the one who did it."

She rolled her eyes and huffed as she leaned back in her seat, her partner rubbed his head. I glanced over at the cop in the corner, he was the same one I had confessed to at the station. I could tell he was growing tired as well. "Gabrielle, we need you to work with us."

"And I need you guys to work with me."

"We understand that you're afraid of whoever it is that's behind this." the woman began, "which is why we promised to protect you, going forward. We have an amazing witness protection program; However, we're going to need the full story before getting you registered. Understand... we can protect you but we need to know who it is that we're protecting you from." She opened up a folder and slid it over to me, I gazed down and my body ran cold at the sight of Giovanni's body. "He deserves justice and right now, all you're doing is stalling the process..."

"We... got into an argument." I said, closing my eyes so that the tears wouldn't fall. I shut the folder and slid it back over to her. "I saw him with another girl and I went crazy."