Chapter Four

They had been walking for days now and he had seen Arabella changing slowly. When they stopped at villages that had been attacked by the Council guard Arabella was the first one to lend them a hand. During this time Arabella soaked up what information she could about the people that lived in the villages they passed. She was beginning to make connections with them that would later prove beneficial for the Vosat and the villages in time. He was proud to say that she had made great strides towards being able to assume the throne.

Each day was like watching her shed another wall to reveal another layer to her personality that had remained frozen for so long. Lately their days had passed uneventfully and they filled their evenings with hunting and training. He was pleasantly surprised when Arabella began to teach him more about what she had learned in the library.

However, it wasn't until they came to a village at the edge of one of the districts that he realized the true extent to her knowledge. When they arrived at the village Genova was worried that they would have trouble communicating but Arabella approached a stall and fluently spoke their language. Genova's jaw dropped in awe.

"When did you have time to learn different languages?" He asked.

"I made time." She said . "I told you that no matter how much I learned I always wanted to learn more."

She smiled at the vendor and asked them about a particular item. They nodded and eagerly began to show her the item in question. Genova stood to the side and watched as she easily conversed with the vendor.

While the vendor showed the item to Arabella she noticed something that caught her eye. She turned to get a better look but the vendor stopped her.

"Stop. You must not look." He said.

"Why not?" Arabella asked.

"Because it is forbidden that you look up the village elder." He said averting his eyes.

Genova noticed this strange interaction taking place between Arabella and the vendor. Before Arabella could stop him from looking Genova was looking a something like a royal procession. The guards made the procession stop and approached Genova.

In a language that he didn't understand they began to question him. He looked around helplessly but before Arabella could step in one of the guards drew his sword. Arabella drew her swords and blocked the guard's attack. The guards stepped back in surprise. Arabella stared them down with a look that could freeze anyone who bothered to get in her way. Arabella put her swords away and bowed her head speaking fluently in their language.

"I apologize for my friend's insolence. He does not speak the language nor does he know your customs." She said softly.

"Ignorance is no excuse." One of the guards barked.

"Have you never been to a foreign land before?" She asked sarcastically.

"No." He said embarrassed.

"Then do not expect people who are obviously not from your village to know your rules." She said haughtily.

A loud laugh caught the guards attention. Before Genova could look Arabella reached up and pushed his head down. Everyone quieted down as the village leader came to stand before the newcomers.

"Keep your head down until I say otherwise." She ordered.

"Yes." Genova said simply.

"Young woman, raise your head." He said in their language. Arabella raised her head and was surprised to see such a beautiful young man standing before her. "Your friend may raise his head too." He said.