The Choice

Author's Note:

Guys, it's over. Sniff, sniff. I'm so sad, but so happy for her. What do you think?!

__________________________________________________________

I watched anxiously as Dev waited for Steve to pick up. Her dad was still waiting for an explanation and I felt I definitely owed him one. How could Matt just show up here? I thought we were done arguing for the night.

I listened to Devon’s one sided conversation desperate to know what he was saying.

“Hey, listen, I’ve got a problem. Ceil came over tonight and-” She stopped talking briefly.

“Yes she’s ungrounded. So she came over and she was already fighting with Matt and I sat there and listened to him bitch at her for EVER and then he hung up and just showed up here.” She stopped talking to listen and her dad chastised her for her language.

“No, of course I’m not letting her go out there. I’m not stupid.” She paused again.

“Okay, thanks.” She hung up the phone and my eyes bugged out of my head impatiently.

“Well?!” I all but shouted in her face. She put her finger up to my nose in warning.

“Steve is on the way. You’re staying in here. You’re NOT answering any more phone calls, and just give me the phone.” She held out her hand and I eyed it warily. I really wanted to go see if he was already going to apologize but I refrained.

She yanked the phone from my hand and pointed to the couch.

“Sit.” She said, forcefully. I gave her a dirty look before crossing my arms and popping my hip. She wasn’t the boss of me. As freaked out as I was by Matthew’s behavior too, he wasn’t dangerous. He’d never done anything to hurt me and she was blowing this way out of proportion.

Still I stayed inside until a second car pulled up on the street. All three of us watched from the window as Steve leaned down to talk to Matt in the car. Steve ducked backwards as Matt’s fist came flying out the window and Steve yanked open the car door.

I briefly shut my eyes to block out the image of Steve shoving Matt against the car. It seemed wrong that Steve was coming to rescue me from my boyfriend. It was unbelievably wrong. On top of that, it was so many different levels of sweet I could barely take it.

“I wonder why he’s so into you,” Dev mused. I shot her a look as she smirked and giggled. “I don’t mean like that, love. You’re an awesome girl but this is borderline creepy.”

I shook my head with a sad smile. It was a little weird. But Matt was so hot and charming and sweet. Sure I didn’t like his behavior but I liked him enough to ignore it most of the time.

We watched as Steve continued to yell at Matt. When it seemed like Matt had visibly calmed down; then started to get scared, I grabbed Devon’s hand and pulled her out the front door.

“What are we doing?!” She squealed in a whisper.

“I want to know why Matt looks so scared,” I whispered back, pulling her along a line of bushes by the front door in a crouch. The closer we got I could hear more of what Steve was saying and I was thoroughly confused.

“Don’t be him, Matt. If you step one more foot out of line I will kill you. You will stop this or else she’ll be the first to know everything. All those little ideas, the restaurant, the flowers in her locker, the dates, she’ll know they were mine. I’ll tell her that everything you’ve done to get her has been all ME.” He snarled in Matt’s face. I had no idea where he was going with this…