Sweet Dreams

Author's Note:

SECOND TO LAST CHAPTER, AREN'T YOU EXCITED?!

_________________________________________________________________________

Everyone couldn't believe it- how openly she'd declared affection without the slightest hint of doubt. Even the "I think I do" sounded convincing. Of course Mico knew it already, but after going a long time without hearing it, he was desperate to make up for lost time.

After Mico's Mom appeared to process the news, she preceded to ask Ro, "And why are you here when we had no idea? Did anyone know?" Mico saw Ro take a deep and shaky breath in. Her eyes flickered over to Sam but Ro shook her head. "No one but Mico knew," Carlie said, questionably confirming Ro's statement. She nodded again.

Sam smiled, and Mico knew that Sam couldn't hold a grudge when they'd barely even fought. He listened to his dad say, "And when did you get here exactly?" Ro was hunched over when she guiltily mumbled, "Since last night..." His father's nostrils flared in anger. "And why are you wearing Mico's clothes?" His dad was struggling to keep his temper in check.

"I was cold..." Ro explained lamely. Mico felt the need to touch her and keep as much contact with her as possible. Ro smiled gratefully up at Mico. She flinched, however, the second Andrew's angry roar filled the room, "WHY are you both WET?" Mico knew she was at a loss for words, and he was too. "We needed a shower..." she murmured, trying to make her voice as small as possible.

Ro wanted the floor to swallow her. Mico regretted getting her brought into his family dynamics. Then the logical part of his brain reminded him that she'd been in his dynamics for many years. She'd seen fights before between every member of the family. This wasn't the first time his father Andrew had been furious with and yelled at Ro. This was just the first time it concerned Mico.

Mico was furious his father wasn't controlling himself. However barbaric his father had been, he hoped his mother wouldn't be insensitive and ignore Ro's obvious pain.

Carlie stroked Ro's hair and said, "I'm so sorry Ro." Sam and Danielle both had their hands resting on Ro's body as a gesture of comfort.  

There were few times Ro had ever felt as miserable as she did at that moment. All of the worst feelings she'd ever had had taken place in the last year. And it wouldn't go away. All of the stuff that would make her happy surrounded her, but the bad parts of her life stuck out like a sore thumb.

She appriciated Carlie's mercy because at the moment she ached to be cared for. Ro picked herself up off the floor and curled up on Mico's lap. Carlie smiled at them both and Ro was glad someone approved of their relationship.

Sam and Danielle smiled too, although Sam's was tightlipped. Mico's dad showed no emotion at all. Ro still worried if admitting she loved Mico to his entire family would cause some problems. The worry vanished when Mico kissed her forehead.

Mico's dad continued to stare with a hardened expression on his face. Ro felt extremely uncomfortable with everyone's eyes on her. She just wanted to ignore the fact that she'd had a breakdown; a big one. She just wasn't sure how to lure everyone away to get herself alone.

The new anchor's  voice sharply recaptured Ro's wary interest. "Ben's parents have arranged a funeral service for tomorrow afternoon at Holy Cross Church and a burial service at New Hope Cemetary starting at two o'clock."

Ro envied the woman. She only told the news; she didn't know Ben personally and his death wouldn't affect her daily life. Her voice had remained smooth, showing no evidence of breaking or cracking.

"Are you going to go?" Carlie asked Ro. Was she? Ro was momentarily stunned as it hit her again. The funeral. The burial. This was really it. Ben was never coming back. Her Ben would never breathe again. She felt intense guilt over his death. She should at least be there for him one more time. She knew she would be there for him forever, in the deepest part of her heart.