Burning Broken Bridges

Saturday did not arrive quickly for Ro at all. With each day following Tuesday, Ro had been ignored shamelessly. She cried each night, knowing she’d wake up and have to feel alone all day long. As she got ready to go ice skating that afternoon, she frowned to herself as she contemplated how alone she really did feel without Mico.

It was free skate at the local rink and Ro had made plans with a couple of hockey players and one football player. She wanted to look flirty and cute but not slutty or trashy. It was a thin line but Ro figured just a V-neck would do the trick. She sprayed herself with Juicy perfume and grabbed her figure skates.

Her phone went off as Hanna texted her that the group was waiting in the driveway. Ro let herself out of the house, closing the door behind her. Her curls were tamed into waves that bounced behind her and she had clipped her bangs out of her face so that she could see while she was skating: she was a terrible skater.

The boys slapped the car with their arms and let out whistles and howls as she approached. Ro laughed and blushed. She saw that in the front seat Hanna was rolling her eyes. She climbed in and took a seat in the middle. She was sandwiched between Hanna’s boyfriend Matt and the football player Ben.

Ro looked at Alex, who was driving, through the rear view mirror and said, “Hey.” He smiled and started to back out of her driveway. She’d dated Alex when she was a little girl. ‘Dated’ is used loosely. The two were inseparable and Ro had never stopped having a little crush on the kid. She knew she was going to at least finally have some fun with her friends. She promised to be fun to be around and not let Mico ruin anything.

Mico was livid. He could hear the whistles and howls coming from the car in Ro’s driveway. He resisted the urge to turn around and go to the window to see what she was wearing as he walked from the living room to the kitchen. Instead he ate some breakfast while he waited for Alexia.

He still owed the dreadful girl a date, her choice, so Mico was just hoping for something normal. He prayed it wasn’t something that required a lot of attention.

Ever since Tuesday, Mico had distanced himself from Ro. He thought that if he left her alone and she didn’t bother him that they would be able to, in a way, move on, if only for a little while. Now the only problem he faced was his memories. He thought of her constantly.

The doorbell rang and he went to answer it slowly, dreading having to spend time with Alexia. He stuffed money into his pocket and he tried not to vainly hope that it would be Ro at the door. His heart sunk as he opened the door and she stood in front of him with a sleazy smile.

Sam and Danielle came running, and skidding to a halt at the sound of the bell. “Is it Ro?” Danielle asked excitedly while Sam and she shared a hopeful smile. When the girls saw that it wasn’t, their disappointment was evident as they turned and headed back downstairs.

Alexia’s smile faded. Mico hadn’t even bothered to smile or invite her in and she stood their awkwardly, furious that those girls had asked if she was someone else. Who was Ro anyway? Mico stared at her without an emotion on her face. Alexia finally asked, “Well are we going to go or what? I left my car running.”

Mico followed her out the door, taking in her curious outfit. He didn’t know why she was wearing a black long sleeve shirt underneath a pink T-shirt but it wasn’t attractive. Neither was her mini-skirt and tights. He got into her little car and tried not to ask her where they were going.

Eventually he couldn’t help himself. “Where are we going?” He asked. She replied quickly, “We’re going skating.” Mico was completely weird-ed out by her uncanny ability to make that sound suggestive. He blindly noticed that they arrived at the rink a minute later, the one in walking distance from his house. He knew it would be a long day.