two- Beginnings

Mico actually did his homework in advisement and wondered when he was going to see Ro. His day wasn't going quite the way he wanted (being forced to do his homework had not been his original plan) and just catching a glimpse of her golden curls would be the highlight.

He hadn't heard anything about sophomores and hospitals so nothing critical had happened, but she wasn't in school or she'd been avoiding him. The past week he'd seen her a couple of times when she'd come over to see the girls. She even stayed for dinner one night, but he hadn't been alone with her at all.

Mico had to admit, all of the sophomores seemed pretty down by the death of their classmate at the hand of another. Though Ro had been the saddest.

Mico called home from his cell phone at the end of the day. He told his mother about how Alexia wanted to take him to ball, and how he didn't want to go. As he boarded the bus, he caught sight of a halo of blonde curls, long corkscrews down the length of her back.

Still listening to his mother's advice Mico sat down across from Ro, kicking out a nineth grader in the process. He saw Ro roll her eyes, and Mico bit back a smile. "Mom," he said, "She wants me to wear PINK. It's too horrible. I'm not doing it." He was thouroughly annoyed with the situation. He wished he could back out of it with Alexia. Then he had an idea.

Ro texted Brendon, for lack of better things to do, but kept an eye out for the small motions she loved to look for from Mico. When he spoke to his mom he mumbled, as if he didn't want her to be talking to him, even though Ro was sure he'd called her. She could tell that he was agitated because his body was stiff and his movements were rough. He talked with his hands subconsciously. He stared at Ro while he was on the phone as she pretended not to be looking at him. She couldn't get enough of how adorable he was. When he started getting angry and emphsized the word 'PINK' to his mother, Ro surpressed a giggle. That slut would never see the things Ro did about him.

The word cancer rolled through Ro's mind and she thought about some of the treatments the doctor, her mother, and herself had discussed. Ro didn't like the idea of losing her hair, and played with it unconsciously for the short bus ride.

Mico was off the phone with his mother by the time the bus was at their stop. Ro got off ahead of him and as soon as she heard his feet hit the concrete, she felt his gentle but determined grip on her arm.

He seemed nervous, and stuttered out, "I-I h-have s-something to a-ask you." Ro was baffled but waited for the question. When he gently moved his grip from her forearm to her hand, a chill moved down her spine and Ro was confused as to why he still affected her like that. Still she focused on his brown eyes as he held her gaze.

"Ro, I want you to go to ball with me."  Ro was speechless. She never thought she'd go to ball two years early, let alone that Mico Jones would be asking her. "Why?!" She squeaked, completely taken aback. Realizing how stupid that sounded she added, "Sorry that was rude." Mico laughed and joked, "Well you might not get to go on your own..." They both froze.

He knew.

He knew about her cancer.

Mico realized he'd just basically told her he'd been spying on her and Ben. He was so scared she'd be livid.

"I sincerely hope you do," he said seriously, trying to make up for his asshole-ness.

"You've known the whole three weeks?" She challenged, daring him to admit it.

"Yes." He said, looking away from her.

"Hey," she snapped, as he turned his attention back on her, "I should hate you." Mico nodded, looking at his feet. He was such an asshole.