Chapter 47

It was Kol’s last day of visiting them. Tomorrow evening, she would be flying back to London. Her business abroad was doing pretty okay, and she had been productive while traveling with them. Kol never could just sit still without doing anything, not even just watching sound check or waiting at interviews.

The boys, especially Niall, had now gotten used to Kol leaving them while they were working so that she could do some of her own. Back when she wasn’t as big yet, it was Maria who booked her for things so that her visits with One Direction were useful. Now, Kol did these things by choice.

Right now, they had just gotten back to the hotel after a show. Kol was just in the room, and she didn’t know what the others were up to. Harry most likely would have gone directly to sleep without even changing his clothes. He had been very tired these days.

Niall was in the bathroom.

There was a balcony available in this hotel, and she had decided to stay outside and lit up a cigarette. Kol had stopped smoking, but she did like to watch the cigarettes burn slowly. She liked buying the colorful-colored Sobranie ones just because they were pretty. It was like incense to her.

She saw a slight flash from a distance and Kol glanced over at that part. There was a sudden surge of annoyance that hit her and she put on sunglasses, even though it was night already. It was just annoying to get photographed even during private times like these. It was probably some person who just recognized her and decided to take a photo from whatever building he or she was in. She just wanted some private time on the balcony so that she could watch her burning cigarette in peace. She couldn’t even do that.

“I thought you were quitting,” Niall said in a disapproving voice as he slid the door open. His hair was wet and he had a towel around his shoulders. He was just in sweatpants and a loose long-sleeved sweater that she vaguely remembered was hers. Then again, she had boyish clothes as well that really could be mistaken as menswear.

“You might want to put on a cap,” she said, “because there’s someone with a camera in one of these buildings.”

He went back in and took one that was on the coffee table before coming back out. “You still aren’t getting away with smoking again.”

“I’m not inhaling it,” she said, pointing to its perch on the ashtray. “It’s just nice to watch and light it up from time to time.”

“Okay, if that’s all you do,” Niall said, hanging the towel on the back of one of the vacant chairs.

There was a long silence when they both just watched the smoke go up into the air. Niall was knackered and was in no mood to talk. Kol knew this and didn’t attempt. He was always a ball of energy, but even he had his limits when it came to some days.

“I don’t want you to leave yet,” he finally said, but very quietly. “It’s only been a few days with you around. The wedding’s coming so close and it’s not right that I’ll only get to see you a week before it happens.”

“And then after one week of a honeymoon, you’ll be back to work?” she smiled, not liking that idea either. What she had envisioned was coming home and pretending that she would be the doting housewife and Niall could go home after work and they could have their evenings by the fire.