Chapter 39

“It’s a giant monkey with dreads!” Harry exclaimed, running to it and giving it a hug when he arrived at the venue for the after party. They had just finished their show and went straight here after.

“Glad you like it,” Kol said, walking toward him and smiling. “It’s my gift to the five of you. It’s a One Direction monkey; just like Dimples is the One Direction dog.”

Louis took the life-sized chubby stuffed toy monkey and danced with it. “Boombastic, Mr. Fantastic…”

Zayn went behind the monkey and they were dancing and laughing with the monkey in between them.

“Never shit at giving presents again, I see,” said a voice behind Kol. She turned around and saw wisps of light red hair and a cool smile.

“Eddyboy!” Kol said, giving Ed a hug. “What are you doing here?”

“Came here after my own show,” he explained. “I didn’t know you were in town too.”

“Yeah, I came here to watch, but did a little bit of work as well,” she said. “It’s been so long!”

“Not true. I keep seeing you around on magazines and all over the Internet. You look like you’ve been busy.”

“Please, like you haven’t been either,” Kol said. “Hang on, let’s get Harry. He’ll be thrilled to see you.”

“He seems very preoccupied with the lovely monkey at the moment,” Ed said, putting his hands inside the pocket of his jacket and grinned at the sight. The boys had sat the monkey on the floor and they were playing around with it, giving it punches or snuggling up to it. “You realize it might take a full fifteen minutes before they divert their attention somewhere else?”

“Unless I flash them or something,” Kol shrugged.

“Even then, it would be a little doubtful,” Ed said, laughing.

She looked at the prepared look on his face and guessed, “You guys are going for karaoke again, aren’t you?”

“How’d you guess?” he said sarcastically.

“Well, other than the machine over there, you all pretty much love to sing even more than usual when you’re all drunk.”

“Come on, it’s not like you’re any better,” Ed said, grinning. It was definitely true.

“Hey, I dance, and I know it’s not bad dancing either, since you stupid idiots have taken a video of me once when I was drunk.”

“It’s some Step Up stuff when you’re drunk, isn’t it?” he replied. “I have the video on my phone actually.”

Zayn looked up and over at them, and locked his eyes on Ed. “Hey it’s Ed!” He paused again and stared at Kol. “Hey, that’s my shirt!”