Chapter 37

The funny thing was that One Direction and Kol Vicencio were coincidentally booked for the same night talk show when they were in New York. After working, Kol had gone straight to the studio of that talk show and was surprised to find the boys in there, already rehearsing at sound check.

“What are you doing here?” she said, looking up from her phone. Zayn was strangling Harry in a chokehold, while the others were making funny noises into their microphones.

“We have an interview here later, Cub,” Liam said into the microphone, and looking very proud of himself as he smiled, as if it was such a clever thing to do.

“I’m having an interview here later,” Kol said, as if the possibility of them beings guests at the same time was so improbable.

“You’ll be having makeup and wardrobe in a few minutes,” Maria said behind her, obviously not noticing the boys yet. “They’ll be briefing you about things in the dressing room.”

When Kol glanced at Maria, her agent stopped and added, “Why did you stop walking?”

Maria then glanced around and her eyes landed on the boys. “Oh dear sweet baby Jesus,” she said. “Here we go again…”

The boys spotted Maria and bounded off the stage, to the dismay of their managers. It was a handful to attempt to control them sometimes.

“Maria! My Maria!” Louis said, making exaggerated movements with his hands.

“Nice to see you too, Louis,” Maria said, uptight. It was never her favorite moment when the boys and Kol were together. She tried to get out of the way whenever they were all together, but all her energy was drained when they were there. It was just how John didn’t like when all of them were around. They liked them, but it was like trying to contain an explosion.

Maria already was very frustrated with Kol’s lack of organization and attention back during her first months signed to the agency. At least now, she was more responsible and organized. She had to be, what with a new business and all her projects. Kol still needed reminding, but at least Maria knew that Kol was driven.

Kol with the boys though, was different. She was even more spontaneous and cheeky. They were reckless together and were very loud.

It wasn’t as if Kol didn’t know this either. She liked trying to trick Maria into going with her whenever she knew the boys would be there. It was entertainment.

“What brings you to New York?” Harry asked, his hands behind him as he smiled politely.

“I live here, remember,” Maria said, looking at least a little relived that they weren’t all over the place.

“It’s too bad Johnny boy isn’t here as well,” Zayn said mischievously. “It’s always great having him around.”

“I’m really glad that he isn’t,” Maria said. She turned away from them and looked to Kol. “Five minutes. Dressing room. I’ll go ahead.”