Stanley Uris

BROKEN TIMER
/ Soulmate AU

     Everyone had it. A timer on their wrists that counted down to the exact second they would meet their soulmate. The rush of unknowing excitement people felt when their timer was at the last millisecond was a feeling you always dreamed of having. However, your timer remained at zero since birth and no one had an explanation for it.

     You sat on your bed, trying to read a book but your eyes continued to drift from the page to your wrist. So much was missed out on, you believed. A knock on your window brings you out of your trance. Stanley's unruly curls popped into view before his whole face emerged above the window pane. He showed off a bright smile and waved to you, losing his balance from where he was perched.

     You quickly rush over and open the window, helping him in with a laugh. He always managed to put a smile on your face, even though he was going through the same thing as you. His timer didn't work either, which is one of the many reasons you two are so close in the first place.

     "Stan, why didn't you just come through the door?" You ask him, sitting back in your place on the bed.

He remained silent to your question, pacing a moment before taking a seat next to you. "I've been thinking a lot about our situations." He holds his wrist up as if to visualize what he meant by that, "And I was just wondering, maybe we were somewhere close or in the same building when our timers stopped– or uh, didn't move at all, in your case."

"Yeah, but yours only worked for a few months before it—"

"And you were born when yours never started, meaning that we could..." As if it all clicked in his own mind at this very moment, Stanley pauses and smiles to himself. A faint blush spreads over his cheeks as he continued, "We could have been in the hospital at the same time. I was sick when I was a baby, so that would make sense."

You take a moment to register this new information, it all somehow seeming natural to you. Though the idea that your best friend was actually your soulmate never crossed your mind, it was something you would now forever think about, especially if it were true. "We could be—"

"Soulmates." You and him both say in unison.

     "Do you really think that could be it? I mean, Stanley, we've been best friends since we were little." You tell him, completely shocked though not appalled by the thought of being his only true soulmate.

     A deep crimson shade faded over his face as he began to get flustered, "I– I wouldn't mind testing our theory, you know. It doesn't hurt to at least try." He turned away from your face, afraid of your reaction or rejection.

     Instead, you placed a hand on his cheek and turned him to face you. He opened his mouth to speak again when you placed your lips to his. Instantly, Stanley kissed back. It truly felt magical, so natural and meaningful. When you pulled away, you were speechless.

     He melts into your palm, closing his eyes as he released a heavy sigh of content. "I love you, Y/N." With those words spoken, you both feel a tingling feeling in your wrists. Your still timers slowly fade into tiny hearts, finalizing your newfound love within each other.