Stanley Uris

DANCE WITH ME

Prom night is supposed to be the dream for young girls to let loose and dance with their dates. However, that wasn't how your night was going at all. You sat at a table alone, sadly picking at the corsage your boyfriend gave you earlier that night, but now you had no idea of where he ran off to. The only clue being some girl, too loud for her own good, leading him towards the exit.

Suddenly the empty seat next to you was being occupied. You were about to tell the person that you would leave, but then realized it was Stanley from your English class. He sat next to you and he was always nice, the two of you sharing notes and even gossiping about people in your class every now and then. He met your sad eyes and smiled as an attempt to cheer you up.

"W–Why are you alone?" He seemed to choke on his own words, like he was nervous.

You shrug, "My date abandoned me." He was clearly shocked by your blunt response, but he didn't speak that way, to avoid upsetting you anymore.

"I'm sorry." Stanley could only think of that reply, seeing your unsatisfied nod. He knew he had to say more, but he was afraid to be shut down. He exhales sharply, looking over your stunning features before he spoke up again. "He clearly doesn't know what he just lost out on."

Your eyes widened at this, him gaining your full attention now. You turn to face him with a growing smile. "What do you mean?"

"Y/N, you're– you're beautiful. Absolutely, beautiful. I've, um, I have had a crush on you for a while now. I don't really know how to ask you this, but I—" He scratches the back of his neck awkwardly, his suit suddenly feeling a bit too tight around his neck. "I was wondering if you would like to, maybe, dance with me? I mean, we don't have to dance. We could just—"

"I would love to." You cut off his nervous ramble, making him blush deeply and grin.

     Stanley stretches out his hand towards you as he stood from the seat. He was hoping you wouldn't notice how sweaty his palms were, or how nervous he was to be the one to bring you to the dance floor. But he was ecstatic; happy that you even gave him the chance for this moment. The two of you held hands even during the quick paced tone, dancing however the music moved you and not caring about what others thought.

     The song transitioned to a lovely slow song. Stan's eyes met yours curiously, and you knew he has been waiting for this moment. He gulped, "Can I?" Stanley motioned to your waist. You nod, allowing him to rest his hands there, and moved closer to the frantic boy.

     "You don't have to be nervous around me, Stanley." You tell him kindly, linking your arms around his shoulders. His cheeks burned a deep crimson shade as he pulled you closer to him, to where your chests were barely touching now.

     He leaned over to somewhat mirror your height, allowing his head to loom over your shoulder. "I like you a lot, Y/N. Could I take you out after prom, like a date?"

     "There is nothing I would like more, Stanley."