About That Time...

Joyful

                “I don’t ever want you to think that I don’t care about you, Faith. Yes, our relationship is strained but, that doesn’t stop me from being your sister. I will always be there for you. I can’t have you doing stupid things like this. Little Nathan needs his mommy. He needs his mommy…I need his mommy.” I whispered to a sleeping Faith, as tears slid down my cheek.

                Apparently Faith ingested a half a bottle of sleeping pills. They had to do an emergency cesarean section to deliver Faith and Noriah’s baby. Miraculously, the baby came out healthy. At 11:00pm on March 15th, the doctors delivered Nathan Alexander Washington.

                “Would you like to hold your nephew?” Noriah asked me, as he walked over to where I was seated next to Faith. I nodded my head softly.

                He placed little Nathan in my arms. The little boy was a perfect blend of both Faith and Noriah. At this point he was peacefully resting. I gently caressed his little hand.

                “Congratulations, Noriah. He’s beautiful.” I whispered, as I looked over to where he stood, staring at Faith.

                “Thank you.” He said in response. A comfortable silence settled over the hospital room before I decided to speak but Noriah beat me to it.

                “You know Faith named him after you. Well his middle name.” he informed me.

                “Really?” I asked, completely surprised. He nodded his head in response.

                “I feel like this is my fault. If I would just stopped being petty then none of thi-…” I started before Noriah cut me off.

                “Stop it, Joy. Faith is in control of her actions. I love my wife but, she’s an attention seeker and everyone knows it. And she’s selfish at that. The stunt she pulled today could’ve killed our son. She didn’t even think about that. It’s taking everything in my power not to pack my son up and leave tomorrow.” He confessed.

                I didn’t know what to say in response to that. That’s why I was glad Storm walked into the room at that moment.

                “Are you ok, baby?” Storm asked me.

                “Yes.” I answered simply.

                “Look at little man.” Storm whispered. “Man, Noriah he looks just like you.”

                “I know right.” He smiled, beaming with pride.

                “I’m happy you finally got what you wanted. Now, I can’t wait until Joy brings this little one into the world.” Storm said, reaching to rub Joy’s pregnant belly.