Consolation

Storm

“Aye baby did you want me to pick something up on my way home?” I asked Joy through the phone. It’s a Friday night and I really want her to relax. Being a fulltime mom, wife, and holding down a bakery and café is not an easy task. She wears herself out and thinks nothing of it.

“I guess you can. It’s just me and you tonight. The kids went to spend the night with Drew and Mo.” She explained to me.

“Cool. So what you craving besides me tonight?” I asked her with a smirk.

“You are so full of yourself, boy. I want some Wingstop.” She told me.

“One ten piece boneless lemon pepper wings combo coming right up. I should be home in about an hour.” I informed.

“Hurry home baby. I miss you.” She cooed through the phone. After twelve years of being together, Joy still had a way of making me weak.

“I will, ma. I love you.” I spoke through the phone with a smile.

“I love you too baby. See you in a little while.” She said before hanging up.

As hung up the phone there was a knock at my office door. At this hour on a Friday I was surprised anyone from the firm would still be in the office.

“Come in!” I yelled out.

I looked up to see Faith walking to my office.

“Wassup, Faith. Why are you still here? Aint tonight date night for you and Noriah?” I asked her.

“It is but I’m not really in the mood.” She said.

“What you mean? Talk to me.” I said, motioning for her to take a seat in the chair in front of my desk.

“I don’t know. It’s like ever since Noriah found out that I have issues carrying babies to full term, he has lost interest in me. I know he loves me but when he sees the twins, it’s like his disgust pops up all over again. I feel no affection from him Storm.” She manage to get out before breaking down in tears.

I grabbed a box of tissues and moved to the front of the desk where she was seated. I felt bad for her because I knew Noriah was having a hard time dealing with the fact that she can’t get pregnant. He vented to me every time we talked. I just tried my best to be there for the both of them.

“Faith don’t talk like that. That man loves and cares deeply about you. Don’t ever think that he doesn’t.” I assured her.

“I know. I just…I just want him to show me more affection.” She expressed. “The same way you show affection to Joy.”

“Now look. You can’t go around comparing your relationship to anybody else’s. Each relationship is unique and different. You gotta give him time.” I spoke.

She looked into my eyes like she wanted to believe what I was saying but I knew she didn’t.

“I’d love to stay and chat but Joy is at home waiting to be fed. You know she gets cranky when she’s hungry. Let me walk you to your car.” I offered.

She grabbed her purse while I gathered everything into my briefcase and headed to door. We made small talk until we reached her car.

“Give Noriah a chance. He needs support just like you need it.” I told her, opening my arms for a hug.

“Thanks for being so encouraging. I needed that. You’re a good man Storm. You’re quite the catch.” She said, pulling from our embrace. She held onto my arms for a moment and looked into my eyes before letting go.

“You’re welcome. I gotta get going. We’ll see you Sunday at mom and dads.” I said before hopping into my car and peeling off.

-----

“What took you so long, baby?” Joy asked, after I greeted her with a kiss.

“Your sister came into my office crying.” I said with a sigh.

Joy furrowed her eyebrows and then spoke. “That’s strange. Since when has she been coming to you for consolation?”

“This was the first time actually.” I told her. I noticed that Joy as kind of hurt. The bond she shared with Faith is a strong one. To see Faith go to someone else for comfort is kind of a low blow.

“Come here, baby.” I said, pulling her into my lap. “Don’t worry your pretty little face. She probably just came to me because I was the nearest person at the time. I’m sure it meant nothing.”

“You’re right baby.” She told me. She tried to sound convincing but I knew she wasn’t. She must know something that I don’t.

***************

Just a teaser...setting the tone for the things to come. Share your predictions....