What We Used to Be

This story starts ten years after Storm and Joyful’s wedding. Storm and Joyful are both 35 years old, Reagan is 15 years old and Sunni and Skylar are 5 years old.

Joyful

“Reagan Christina Jackson, if you are not down these stairs in the next two minutes we are going to have a serious problem!” I yelled up the stairs to Reagan. The older this child gets, the slower she takes to get ready.

“Mommy we’re going to be late!” Sunni cried, pulling on my pants leg.

“No we’re not lil’, mama. Go sit in the living room with Skylar while I go get Rae-rae.” I instructed my baby daughter. She was a mini version of me. She worries her pretty little face about every little thing.

I walked up the stairs to Reagan’s room to find her lying in bed, curled up into a ball. This could only mean one thing.

“What’s wrong, baby girl.” I asked her, pulling the covers off of her face. Her natural hair was a mess of tangles on top of her head.

“These cramps hurt, ma.” She whined. I felt bad for her. Her cramps were so strong that we had to take her to the emergency room last month. The doctor had to prescribe her some extra strength ibuprofen. Reagan be out for the count when Mother Nature visits her.

“Awww I’m sorry, Rae-rae. Did you take your medication?” I asked.

“No, because I haven’t ate yet.” She replied.

“Ok, how about this. I’m going to go take the twins to school and I’ll bring you back some breakfast from McDonalds. Can you thug it out until then?” I asked her.

She simply nodded her head in response. Just as I caressed her forehead, Skylar ran in the room and jumped on Reagan. I half-expected her to snap on him but, to the contrary she pulled Skylar into a hug. She loved her little brother. They were practically inseparable. He cries when she leaves sometimes.

“What’s going on up in here?” Storm asked, walking into the room with Sunni in his arms. He was usually prepping for work at this time so I was surprised to see him still dressed in some basketball shorts and a muscle tank.

“Rae-rae is in pain so, I’m letting her stay home today. I’m headed to take the twins to school, then bringing Reagan back some breakfast, then I’ll be headed off to the café to oversee a luncheon.” I ran down to him.

“Aye babe, I’ll take the twins to school and pick us up some breakfast. You chill here Rae-rae.” He offered.

“I thought you had to go to work this morning?” he said.

“I don’t have to be to court until twelve. I prepped for court last night.” He explained.

“Oh…ok. Well thanks babe.” I said, standing on my tippy toes to give him a kiss.

“You’re welcome, ma. Let’s go Thing 1 and Thing 2.” He said referring to the twins. They tackled Reagan and I with hugs and then ran out the door.

“I’ll be back in like fifteen minutes.” Storm told me before, placing another kiss on my lips.

“Ugghhh!! Ya’ll are too old for that!” Reagan complained.

“Don’t hate little girl.” Storm said, throwing a pillow at Reagan’s head.

“Maaaaaa! Tell him to stop!” she whined, burying her face in my chest.

“Storm, go take the twins to school and leave my baby alone.” I said, rubbing Reagan’s back. He mugged Reagan before following my directions.

“I love you, baby!” I yelled out to him with a laugh as he walked out the room.

---------

“Get it Tamia!!!” Reagan yelled at the television.

“Nuh-uh, I think Cameryn did a good job.” I said, rooting for Cameryn. The three of us were currently crowded into me and Storm’s bed watching Bring It and finishing up the breakfast Storm brought us.

“Ma, you’re all off. Cameryn is a cry baby. She couldn’t possibly be a captain!” Reagan argued.

“DD4L!!!!” Storm yelled out randomly. Unfortunately, he has become hooked on this show as well.

We both looked over at Storm and laughed.

“Sometimes I miss it being just the three of us.” Reagan said quietly. Although she loves her baby brother and sister, the adjustment was hard for her.

“Quit being a spoiled brat.” Storm, joked.

“I’m just saying. We used to be the three musketeers.  Now we have all these extras. Sometimes I feel left out, or secondary.” She said with a sigh.

“I know the adjustment was hard, baby girl. That’s why I try to spend as much mommy/daughter time with you as I can.” I reasoned with her.

“You do, ma. I appreciate it.” She said, sending a slight smile my way.

“I’m not playing favorites but the bond we share is always going to be strong, baby girl. We’ve been through a lot together. Nothing is going to mess up our bond. Don’t ever think anything different, baby girl.” Storm assured her.

Despite the change of circumstances in our little family, his relationship with Reagan has never faltered. He still loves that little girl to death. I stared at Reagan and could tell that she had more on her mind but I didn’t pry.

***************

Just a little jumpstart. Comment your predictions and ideas.