Lost Cause

Three Weeks Later

Joyful

“Poppa go put your shoes on. Your dad should be here any minute now.” I instructed my son.

“But, mommy I don’t wanna go with daddy. I wanna stay here with you.” He whined. I let out a soft sigh.

“Come on Poppa, please don’t give mommy a hard time today, I’m not feeling good.” I pleaded with him. He looked at him like he was contemplating his next move then he proceeded to go do as I told him to do. As soon as he left the room, the doorbell rang.

I opened the door and saw Storm standing there. “Sunni! Poppa! Your daddy is here!” I called out to the twins. I turned to walk away and left him standing there in the doorway.

I was still angry with Storm. After ten years of marriage, how do you deliberately cheat? Regardless to whether he penetrated her or not, it was unacceptable. With the way I was feeling today, I was in no shape to talk to him.

“Bye, mommy. See you later.” The twins said to me as they hugged me and went toward the door to their father. I watched them as they greeted their father and I smiled faintly. Storm is a great father and he’s still my baby. I’m just angry with my baby. He really hurt me.

After the twins ran outside toward the car, he looked up at me and our eyes locked into a gaze.

“I’ll have them back in the morning.” He said.

“That’s fine. Have fun.” I told him.

“I love you, Joy.” He said softly.

“Mhm.” I nodded my head in response. He looked a little hurt but I couldn’t hide the way I feel. He finally turned to close the door and as soon as he did I felt the urge to vomit. I quickly ran up the stairs, pushing pass Rae-Rae in the course and made it to the toilet just in time. I emptied all the contents of my stomach and felt relieved.

                “What’s wrong mommy?” Reagan asked, alarmingly. I brushed my teeth and rinsed my mouth before turning around to answer her.

                “Get your stuff. We need to go to the doctor’s office.” I told her.

--------

                “Well Mrs. Jackson, the test came back positive and you are indeed pregnant.” The doctor informed me. Hearing the news is kind of bittersweet. I was happy to be having another child but that happiness was offset by sadness because Storm wasn’t here to hear the good news.  I looked over at Reagan and her facial expression looked rather mixed.