We'll See

Reagan

                “What’s up Rae-rae?” my dad asked cheerfully from the couch where he and my mom were cuddled up. I simply looked at them, shook my head and continued toward the stairs.

                “Wait, wait. Hold up. What’s wrong, baby girl?” my dad called out, stopping me in my tracks. He looked genuinely concerned. I contemplated for a second then went and sat in my favorite spot; squeezed between my parents.

                “What happened at dance practice, Rae-Rae?” my mommy asked. I played with my fingers as I tried to hold in my tears. What happened with Sammie this morning made me feel so many different feelings. I was frustrated because he acted so childish, sad because I felt lonely now, and upset that he called me out of my name. I looked up at my parents and retold the story to them. A tear didn’t drop until the very end and that barely made it down my face before my dad spoke out.

                “Fix yo face. What you’re not gonna do is sit here and cry over no dude. Wipe them tears off your face, go put on your Timbs and tie your hair up. We finna go pay Sammie a little visit.” My dad instructed me before he pulled out his phone and called my Uncle Drew and my Uncle Noriah. I looked at my mom for reassurance and she threw a simple nod my way.  I ran upstairs and did as I was told.

------

                An hour later me and all the men and my family, including my Pawpaw’s were parked outside of Sammie’s house. I started to get nervous. Sammie didn’t deserve to die. A beat down from all the men in my family certainly warranted death.

                “Alright everybody, let’s go.” My dad prompted. All the men filed out the truck while I sat there glued to my seat. I wasn’t gonna watch Sammie get beat to death.

                Let’s go, Rae-Rae. What you waiting for?” he asked me. I looked at him with a worried expression on my face.

                “I can’t watch ya’ll beat Sammie up, daddy.” I explained, shaking my head.

                “Who said we were beating up Sammie?” he asked me. I looked at him confusingly. “You’re about to handle him. Terrell and Ricky started and you’re about to finish, right now. Get out the car, Reagan.”

I stared at my dad for a second then obliged his request. I followed behind him as we walked up to Sammie’s doorstep. After a few knocks, Sammie’s father opened the door.

                “What’s up, David?” my dad greeted him, with a nod.

                “Nothing much, Storm. I knew it would only be a matter of time before you all arrived. Ms. Teresa called this morning and informed me of Sammie’s actions. He was totally out of line. I apologize, Storm, for Sammie’s behavior.” He said to my father. He then turned to me and spoke. “And Reagan you’re a fine young lady. He disrespected you in the worse way possible and that’s never okay. I apologize Reagan.”