Chapter Fifteen

{stables}

It had been a good two days since the incident. 

Two days since they had arrived at camp Beta. 

As for accomodation, Namjoon had set them up well. A room was provided for each of them by the farmlands, yet Hoseok still insisted he would sleep in his van with Daisy for safe keeping purposes. So in the end, that just left Jimin, Yoongi and Jungkook by the stables. 

Jimin let out a tired sigh as he lay against the hay bales. Head facing the sky as he let his arms rest peacefully on his stomach. Hay bales laid scattered over the small meadow, their golden hues radiating warmly under the sun. Jimin knew that the bales wouldn't be outside for much longer though. They had to be fetched inside before the autumn rains came and judging by the dampness that was lingering in the air, rain was close at hand. 

Jimin's ears perked up at the sound of an approaching horse, trotting heavily against the grass before drinking against the stables. 

Jimin heard a small grunt as someone hopped of the horses saddle, "How are you feeling Jimin?"

Jimin was quick to sit up in his place, dusting of the hay that stuck to his back as he faced the blue haired male walking towards him, "Heaps better, thanks Yoongi."

Over the past two days, Jimin and Yoongi had a lot more time to talk with one another. Jimin had been stuck in the medical bay for supervision alongside Yoongi, who ended up being put on a drip for his malnutrition. 

Yoongi took a seat beside Jimin on the hay bale, "That was such a close call the other day." Yoongi spoke softly, eyes trailing down to Jimin's bandaged wrist, "I can't believe you were riding on the chance that you'd make it to camp Beta in time for an injection."

Jimin's eyes diverted to the sky once again, "I know" He spoke sincerely, frown spreading across his face as he creased his brows,  "and I'm sorry I put you guys at risk"

Yoongi could tell Jimin sounded genuine, "I'm just glad you're okay." Yoongi smiled, turning his eyes to the sky as well, "I hate seeing people turn."

The blue of the sky gave them a sense of clarity, for in that expanse of sweet calm air was a sense of freedom. It was the only thing that remained the same in the troubled world they now lived in. 

"It was horrid Yoongi." Jimin spoke, a shudder running coldly down his spine at the thought, "Watching my squad get ripped to pieces."

Yoongi's eyes fell from the sky as he transferred his gaze to Jimin, "It wasn't your fault."

"But it was!" Jimin spoke in panic, head snapping towards Yoongi, "The worst part about being their leader wasn't watching them die, or watching them trust me against all odds. But watching them die because they trusted me." Jimin said, words trailing off as he held back his tears. He began to scrunch his hair in-between his fingers as he lowered his gaze to the floor. 

Yoongi, let out a sad sigh, "I can relate you know." he spoke, not waiting for Jimin's attention, "On day zero, I was sent to the government science facility where the outbreak occurred. I had basic information on the infected, but I didn't tell anyone. I blame myself for why all those people died there that day."

Regaining his composure Jimin lifted his head from his hands, wiping away the tears that threatened to fall, "I guess we all screwed up in one way or another."

"You got that right." Both Jimin and Yoongi perked up at the sound of a new voice. 

Pacing confidently towards them was Jungkook, axe hauled over his shoulder as the cool autumn breeze tangled itself through his coffee coloured hair. The two males watched on as Jungkook swung the rusted axe from his shoulder and leant it up against a tree stump. It's blade was worn from cutting down several trees, it's wooden handle rough.