Chapter Two

{immunity} 

Anger and confusion boiled deep in Jungkook's system. It churned within, hungry for destruction. Collapsing on his bed, Jungkook let out a defeated sigh. He had managed to make it back to his squadrons van and return safely to his base camp. 

He felt selfish though. 

He had been bitten.

It only took 12 hours for a human to turn after contact with the virus. Jungkook had until sunrise to either kill himself or leave the camp grounds, because turning inside the camp was a huge no go. He wanted to tell his squad he had been bitten, but he was scared. Scared of dying. 

They would have shot him point blank with no hesitation. So now Jungkook was angry, not only at himself, but the world. 

So Jungkook ran home. He bolted into his small rundown apartment, jamming his earbuds into his ears and pressing play on his cassette player. Music poured out, sounding like the most beautiful noise he'd ever heard. Jungkook shut out the world around him and he just... let go. Of everything. 

Still laying on his back, Jungkook outstretched his wounded forearm in front of him, carefully examining the wound. Mud and grit had become enmeshed with raw pink fleshy teeth marks, spotted with blood. One thing for sure was that it was going to be very painful to clean, and Jungkook's money was on it getting infected too. But what was the point? He would be nothing but a walking corpse in the morning so treating his wound seemed pointless. 

He was going to die. 

Jungkook's eyes shifted to the side and became glazed with a glassy layer of tears. As he blinked they dripped from his eyelids and down his cheeks. Jungkook bit his lip tightly in an attempt to hide any sound that wanted to escape from his mouth. 

His lower lip quivered as words slowly made their way out of his mouth. "I'm..." He began, yet what followed was engulfed in the tremors. 

Why did the apocalypse have to happen? WHY!? 

Jungkook should have graduated school last year. He should be in collage right now surrounded by family and friends but it seemed the world had other plans. 

Closing his eyes, Jungkook let the feeling of darkness engulf him. He didn't want to think anymore, just drift off into his eternal sleep. 

---

*Knock, Knock, Knock*

Jungkook awakes without warning, eyes flung open at the sound of knocking on the door. The morning rays of the sun cut through the sheer blinds of his apartment, momentarily blinding him as his eyes adjust to the light. 

Though Jungkook's eyes are open, he can't think of why; his heart begins pounding, mind empty. It's been over 12 hours for sure. 

So why was he still human?

Jungkook kicked his legs around to the side of his bed, hand grabbing a firm hold of his shirt as he pulled up his sleeve. His eyes widened. Unlike the pink, bloody wound from yesterday. The zombie bite looked perfectly healed. The skin had healed itself over, no more swelling, bruising or redness, just white scarring lines were the zombie had tried to devour his flesh. 

Jungkook began to shiver. Not a shiver from the cold but a shiver of complete fear and confusion, "What the... what the hell is this supposed to mean?" All he could so was stare open mouthed. His brain formulated no thoughts other than to register that he was shocked. 

Taking in a shaky breath Jungkook rolled down his sleeve. 

*Knock, Knock, Knock*

Unsure of what to think at the moment, Jungkook shuffled his way to the front door, opening it with a slight creek to reveal the stranger. 

Jungkook knew everyone in camp delta, but this was a new face. 

In front of him stood a man, maybe a few centimetres shorter then himself. His faded orange hair and tanned skin emitted nothing but warmth as he let out a hearty smile. Jungkook felt like the boy had eyes of pure lightheartedness and a heart of gold; the spark of a child. 

"Jungkook?" The male spoke, brushing his wind tousled hair from his eyes. It was only now that Jungkook noticed the regrowth of his roots, black hair blending into the faded orange. 

Jungkook's mouth was almost too dry to speak so he nod like an idiot before croaking out, "Yeah, that's me."

Jungkook was taken aback when the male leant in close, scanning his features like some complex calculation. The male smiled, "Wow you're a lot younger then I thought you'd be." 

Jungkook remained unfazed, "And you are?"

"Oh right!" The male took a step back, "My name's Jung Hoseok! I believe your camp was short on professional navigators so I was called in to be your squads new navigator!" Hoseok chuckled.

Jungkook honestly wasn't surprised that camp Delta brought in a new navigator. His squad had been having a rough time collecting supplies without the knowledge of the terrain. They could have really used a navigator in Jungkook's mission yesterday. Maybe then, Jungkook wouldn't have had to wonder around finding a way into the city. 

"Well, welcome to camp Delta I guess?" Jungkook spoke, ruffling his bed hair as he let out a yawn. He found that his mind was working to slowly at the moment. He had just woken up a mere minute ago and he found that his thoughts were running like slow clockwork. Taking in a deep breath Jungkook found himself calming his mind,

And then, like a zombie had just fallen through the roof, 

It hit him. 

"Oh my God, I think... I think I'm immune." Jungkook mumbled, but clear enough for Hoseok to hear him. Jungkook unconsciously grabbed ahold of Hoseok's shoulders, startling the orange haired male, "Hoseok, I might be the cure!"

Hoseok found his brain stuttering for a moment, every part of him going on pause while his thoughts caught up. "Jungkook... are you sure you're not on drugs right now?"

Instead of explaining with his words Jungkook placed a hand on his left arm, pulling up the sleeve high enough for Hoseok to get a clear view of the bite. Hoseok's eyes widened as he grabbed ahold of Jungkook's forearm, tugging it towards him as Jungkook stumbled forwards with it. It was as if Hoseok's brain was suffering a massive short circuit and was struggling to compute. 

Hoseok found his fingers trailing softly along the edges of the bite marks, eyes focused on the monstrosity, "How old is this?" Hoseok asked, eyes not leaving Jungkook's arm. 

Jungkook looked down at the watch on his right wrist before turning his attention back to Hoseok, "17 hours old." 

"But humans are meant to turn in-"

"12... yeah, I know." Jungkook spoke, pulling his arm away and rolling down his sleeve once more, "By now, the site of infection should be purple, fleshy. My veins should be surfaced and I should be dead." Jungkook placed a hand on his forearm, "But instead, my body has naturally healed the bite."

Hoseok placed a finger to his chin in thought, "This basically means that your body has immunity." Hoseok's eyes displayed a hint of hope, "Your cells! Whatever is up with your cells is the key to the cure!"

Both males exchanged serious glances, and without words, they knew what each other meant. 

"I'm heading straight down to the lab." Jungkook spoke, quickly grabbing his worn leather jacket from the front door as he headed out. 

"I'll meet you down there as soon as I can." Hoseok spoke, "My girlfriend's a scientist here, I'll call her down to see what she thinks."

And just like that, Jungkook headed to the lab.

---

{Author Note}

Turns out Hoseok is now under the command of Jungkook as lead navigator of camp Delta!

Update tomorrow ;)