Chapter 12

Thank you all for your support. I hope you enjoy the new chapter :)

(Reed)

I was staring out the window deep in thought when I heard Winnie let out a whimper. Turning my head, I saw her eyes were moving rapidly beneath the lids. She was having a nightmare. I raised the armrest that separated us and moved closer to her. Before I could comfort her, she jerked awake. Concerned I asked her if she was okay.

"I'm fine." She smiled at me. "It was just a dream. Are we close?"

I checked my watch. "We'll be there in about twenty minutes." I wrapped an arm around her waist and pulled her to me. "That gives us just enough time to get in some cuddling and kissing."

"Does it now?" Winnie kissed me on the mouth and then laid her head on my shoulder. "I'm afraid that right now I need more cuddling than I do kissing."

"Did the dream bother you?" I asked, holding her tighter.

"A little." She sighed softly. "I dreamed Mark escaped from prison and came after us. He killed your parents. He was trying to kill you when thankfully I woke up. I don't know why I dreamed something like that." She raised her head and looked at me. "But if he ever did escape from prison promise me you'll get out of town."

"Only if I can take you with me," I muttered.

"Deal," she agreed. "How-how did Mark murder those two people?"

"He used them for target practice," I answered coldly. "He broke into their home in the middle of the night to rob them. The man tried to hit Mark with a baseball bat. Mark took out a gun and shot him. He then went into the bedroom and killed the pregnant wife." I felt Winnie tremble. "The man was shot five times and the wife four. When I found out I wasn't surprised. I always knew my brother was capable of something like that."

"Those poor people," she whispered. "I can't imagine what was going through the woman's mind when she heard her husband being shot to death. Then the realization that she and her baby were next and there was nothing she could to stop it. It had to have been the most horrific feeling." She shuddered. "I hope your brother burns in hell for what he's done."

"He will." I kissed her forehead. "Someday he'll get exactly what he has coming to him."

"Well I can promise you one thing." She lowered her head to my shoulder. "I'll never step foot in that prison again."

"Good because I don't like you going to see him." I rubbed her back. "Carter and Faith don't know about the murders and Mark being in prison. I told them he got a job in London. My family and you are the only ones that know the truth. I would like to keep it that way if-"

"My lips are sealed," Winnie promised. "You should know that I would never tell anyone anything we talk about. Our conversations are private."

"Thank you." I squeezed her gently. "I knew I could count on you."

"Always, Reed."

Carter's driver picked us up at the airport and drove us to the house. By the time we pulled into the driveway the sun had set. While the driver unloaded our bags from the trunk Winnie and I made our way to the door. As we drew near a security light came on and the door opened.