Chapter 24

Thank you all for your support. It truly means a lot to me. I hope you enjoy the new chapter. :)

(Reed)

Checking my watch, I saw it was five minutes till nine. I reached across the desk and snatched up the receiver. Winnie wouldn't mind if I called early. I pressed the receiver to my ear and dialed her cell phone number.

"Hello, my handsome honey," she said, answering after the second ring. "You're calling early."

"Is that a problem?" I asked her.

"Not at all," Winnie told me. "You can call me any time you want. Where are you?"

"In my office at home," I answered. "I thought I would go over tomorrow's schedule. Where are you?"

"I'm sitting in a rocking chair on the front porch." I heard her sigh. "The sky seems so much bigger here. It makes a person feel small. I wish you were here." She sighed again. "Anyway, it's Sunday."

"I am aware of that." I sat back, my chair letting out a squeak. "Is there a reason why you brought it up?"

"I was supposed to go to the prison today to visit with Mark and-"

"Since you didn't show up you're wondering if there were any repercussions." I scratched my stubble jaw. "Let me put that beautiful mind of yours at ease. Nothing has happened. I would tell you if it had."

"It's still early so be careful," Winnie cautioned me.

"Yes, sweetheart." Starbucks leaped onto the desk. I rubbed him between the ears. He closed his eyes and started purring. "How is your father?"

"He's doing well," she said. "I'm going to spend the day with him tomorrow, which means he'll put me to work. By the time he's done with me I'll probably be so sore I won't be able to move."

"Be careful and don't hurt yourself." I gave the kitten a pat on the head. "I'm going to let you go, sweetheart. I have some things I need to take care of. I'll call you tomorrow."

"Good night, honey," Winnie muttered. "Pleasant dreams."

"They will be if you're in them," I said. "Good night." I hung up the phone and looked at my companion. "I miss her, Starbucks. When she gets back it'll be a long time before I let her leave me again."

The doorbell rang. "Looks like we have company." Pushing back my chair, I stood and left the office. I made my way to the door, opened it, and found my father standing there.

"Hello, son," he said.

"Dad." I stepped aside and he crossed the threshold. "What brings you by? Is Mother alright?"

"Health wise, yes."

I closed the door and turned to face him. He looked tired. "Can I get you anything to drink? I have bourbon or scotch."

"No." He gave me a weak smile. "I'm afraid if I start drinking I won't stop."

"What's wrong, Dad?" I asked, frowning.

"Let's sit down and I'll tell you."

I led the way to the living room, wondering what bad news he was going to throw at me this time. It felt like every time he dropped by it was to deliver bad news. I didn't know how much more of his news I could take.

"How is Winifred?" he asked, taking a seat on the couch.

"She's doing well." I lowered myself into the recliner across from him. "She's visiting family in Wyoming."

He nodded. "Your mother and I spoke with the warden earlier today. He informed us that Mark, along with quite a few other inmates, are being transferred to another prison. He explained it's due to overpopulation."

"Where are they transferring Mark?" I asked.

"To a prison in Louisiana." He ran a hand through his hair. "Shreveport to be exact. They're moving him and the others on Friday."

Leaning forward, I braced my forearms against my thighs. "I take it Mother is furious."

"She was at first, but now she's calm and planning her next move." He cleared his throat. "She's moving to Shreveport to be near Mark."

"You mean you and her are moving to-"

"No, son," he interrupted. "I'm not going with her." He passed a hand across his face. "There's no easy way to say this so I'm just going to come out with it. Your mother and me are getting a divorce."

Stunned, I gaped at him. "A d-divorce."

"I know it's a shock to you, but it's been coming for a while now." Sighing heavily, he shook his head. "We've been drifting a part. Your mother used to look at me with love shining in her eyes. Now she looks at me with disgust and hatred. There's no coming back from that. It's best to end it and go our separate ways."

"I'm sorry, Dad," I croaked.

"So am I." He lowered his head. "I thought we were going to be together for the rest of our lives. I guess some things just aren't meant to be."

After my father left I called Winnie again. I needed someone to talk to and she was the one I often found myself turning to. She was the best listener I knew and she always made me feel better.

"It must be my lucky night," she remarked, coming on the line. "Two calls in one night. What can I do for you, Mr. Drummond?"

"You can shoulder some of my burden."

"What is it, Reed?" Winnie asked, her voice soft. "Has something happened?"

"Yes." I closed my eyes and rested my head against the cushion. "My father dropped by a little while ago. He told me Mark and several other inmates are being transferred to a prison in Shreveport."

"I see," she said. "How does that make you feel?"

"Relieved," I confessed. "Maybe this is a blessing in disguise for you and me. Maybe we'll finally be free of Mark and his games. Is it wrong of me to feel this way?"

"No," Winnie muttered. "I feel the same way. When are they transferring him?"

"Friday," I answered.

"Are you going to see him before he leaves?" she inquired.

I gave her question some thought. Did I want to see him after every thing that had happened? "I don't know," I admitted. "I don't know what to do."

"You have some time to think about it," she told me. "You don't have to decide right now."

"You're right." I took a deep breath and let it out. "My parents are getting a divorce and my mother is moving to Shreveport to be close to Mark."

"Oh, Reed," Winnie said. "I'm so sorry. I wish that I could be there for you."

"I'm going to be fine, Winnie," I assured her. "It's sad that my parents couldn't make it work, but I'm not going to lose any sleep over it. As for my mother moving to Shreveport, well, all I can say is it's hard to miss someone you never see. It would be different if we had a close relationship, but we don't."

"How is your father doing?" she wanted to know.

"He's doing alright," I said. "Better than I probably would be if I were in his shoes."

"I couldn't imagine being married to someone for more than forty years and then calling it quits," Winnie said.

"It seems like a waste," I commented.

"Yes, it does," she agreed with me.

"Well, you never have to worry, Winnie," I said, smiling. "You're stuck with me."

"I can live with that," she stated. "Call me if you need to talk. I don't care if it's the middle of the night. I'm here for you."

"And that makes me the luckiest man in the world." I wished her a good night and then ended the call.