Chapter 21

Thank you all so much for your support. It means the world to me. I hope you enjoy the new chapter. :)

(Reed)

"Hello, Mr. Drummond."

I smiled weakly at the prison guard. "Hello, Frank. How have you been?"

"I've been fine, sir," he replied. "Thank you for asking."

"You're welcome." I gestured at the door behind him. "Is he waiting for me?"

"Yes," he replied. "The guard just brought him in."

I took a deep breath, moved past him, and opened the door. Stepping into the room, I nodded at the guard stationed just inside the door and moved toward the chair waiting for me. I pulled it out, sat down, and glanced at Mark. He reached for the receiver and put it to his ear. I did likewise.

"Glad you could make time for me," he said. "It must be my lucky day." He paused for a moment. "Why are you here?"

 "The truth is I don't know why I'm here." I shifted on the hard plastic chair. "I just felt an urge to see you. Maybe I'm losing my mind or something."

"Maybe you came here to throw your freedom in my face," Mark said, glaring at me. "You know how much I hate this place and would give anything to be on the outside and-"

"You murdered a family in cold blood," I snarled. "You don't deserve to be free."

"Be careful what you say," Mark growled. "It could come back to bite you in the-"

"I'm tired of your threats." I sighed heavily and reached up, pinching the bridge of my nose. A headache was coming on. I could feel it. "Maybe I shouldn't have come here. It always ends badly."

"You should've sent Winifred in your place." He smirked. "I always enjoy when she visits, especially when she wears a dress. She wore a blue dress once that clung to her body. I had some interesting dreams of her in that dress."

Rage burned inside of me. I forced myself to stay calm. I knew what he was doing. He was trying to get me to lose my temper. I wasn't going to give him what he wanted.

"Got nothing to say, big brother?" Mark said, arching an eyebrow.

"I have plenty I would like to say, but I won't." I gripped the receiver hard enough my hand started to ache. "Winnie is leaving this weekend for Wyoming. She's going to spend the week with her family. She'd like to leave on Saturday, but she has to come here Sunday to see you so-"

"She's not going anywhere," Mark snapped. "She's staying here in Dallas."

I leaned forward, locking eyes with him. "You are one selfish bastard. You claim you care for Winnie. The truth is you only care about yourself. If you cared for her you would want her to see her family."

"She stays in Dallas," Mark sneered. "I want her here on Sunday and any other day I choose. She doesn't show up and-"

"I will pay for her disobedience," I finished for him. 

"You got it, bro." He hung the receiver back on its base, pushed back his chair, and stood. He waved at me and then left the room.

Winnie was sitting on a bench in the garden when I got back from the prison. Needing to hold her, I scooped her up in my arms. She let out a little shriek of laughter as she wrapped her arms around my neck. I sat down on the bench and she cuddled close, smiling at me.

"Hello, handsome," she said, sounding breathless.

"Sweetheart." I kissed her jaw. "Anything new?"

"Yes, I found someone to fill in for me." Winnie laid her hand on my chest. "Her name is Natalie Farmer and I met with her earlier. She came highly recommended. I think she'll do just fine. I'm going to spend tomorrow getting her up to speed. I'll introduce you to her in the morning."

"Alright." I cleared my throat. "I just came from the prison."

Winnie leaned back in my embrace and gazed at me intently. "Something happened. I can tell by the look on your face."

"On the way home I debated on whether I should tell you or not." I gathered her close and nuzzled her ear. "I can't keep things from you, sweetheart. My conscience would tear me up inside." I hesitated, hating to tell her. "Mark doesn't-he doesn't want you going to Wyoming."

"I see." She sighed softly, her breath caressing my neck. "I'll call Cassie and tell her I can't make it."

"No." I grasped her chin and tilted her head back so I could see her face. "You're going to Wyoming."

"Reed." Winnie pulled my hand away. "We both know what will happen if I disobey him and go. He'll take his anger out on you."

"Let him," I muttered.

"No," she snapped. "I don't want him-"

"Shh." I pressed a finger to her lips. "We've been down this road before. We're not going down it again."

"You can't-"

"Let me talk." I reached out and tucked a lock of hair behind her ear. "I will take every precaution to remain safe. I'll keep the gate locked at all times, have security cameras installed, and I'll get a guard dog." I grinned. "I'm thinking maybe a rottweiler. I'll name him killer."

"This is not funny," Winnie said, her eyes flashing with anger.

"I know it's not," I told her, giving her waist a squeeze. "Wherever I go I promise I will be on constant alert. Besides I pointed out to you once before that Mark won't do anything that would put my life in jeopardy. He needs me alive so he can have something to use against you."

"Oh, Reed." She shook her head. "I don't know what to do."

"Does what I want matter to you?" I asked softly.

"Yes." Winnie pressed her lips to my cheek. "It does."

"I want you to go." I ran a hand up and down her back. "Is your father getting up there in age?"

"Yes," she answered. "He's seventy, getting ready to turn seventy-one."

"You should spend as much time with him as you can," I pointed out. "You're fortunate to have a family that loves you."

Winnie looked at me with a sad expression on her face. "I wish more than anything you could have that too."

I gave her a weary smile. "I have you, Winifred Monroe. I don't need anything or anyone else. Now are you going to be a good girl and do as I say?"

Winnie closed her eyes and lowered her head. I knew she was thinking about our conversation and what she should do. I didn't pressure her for an answer. She would give me one when she was ready. I turned my head and glanced at the flowers around me.

"I'll go if you agree to one condition," she said after a few minutes of silence.

I resisted the urge to roll my eyes. "Let me hear it."

Winnie moistened her lips with the tip of her tongue. "You have to call me every night before you go to bed and-"

"What if it's one am when I go to bed?" I asked amused. "Do you still want me to call you?"

"I get your point," she said. "Call me every night at nine o'clock."

I nodded. "Consider it done. Are there any other conditions?"

"Not that I can think of." Winnie combed her fingers through my hair. I ducked my head a little, enjoying the sensation. "If I come up with anything else I'll be sure and let you know."

"You do that."

"Please, be careful," she whispered. "If anything were to happen to you I-"

"Nothing is going to happen to me." I brushed my lips across hers. "I promise."