Chapter 19

Thank you all for your support. I appreciate it. :)

(Reed)

The feeling of being watched came over me as I was working at my desk. I glanced up from the document I was reading and found Winnie standing in the doorway, staring at me with a frown on her face. I started to ask her if something was wrong when she turned and walked away.

Concerned, I pushed back my chair and stood. I crossed the room and stepped out into the reception area. "Winnie." She turned around and looked at me. "Is something wrong?"

"No," she muttered.

"Why don't I believe you?" I moved toward her. "Whatever it is you can tell me."

"I'm fine, Reed," Winnie insisted, averting her eyes. "There's nothing wrong."

I tilted her head back and gazed down at her. "Look me in the eyes and say that again. Please."

"There's nothing wrong," she insisted, meeting my gaze.

For some reason I still didn't believe her. "You know I don't like to be lied to. We're going to stand here until you tell me what's bothering you. I don't care if it takes all day."

Her shoulders sagged and she let out a heavy sigh. "Mark said something that has me feeling confused. I've been agonizing over it and I don't - I don't know what to think."

"What did he say to you?" I asked.

"He said-" Winnie pulled my hand away from her face and lowered her head. "He said you and I love each other. You see, he wanted to know when we were going to settle down and give him nieces and nephews. I told him we didn't want to rush things and that we were taking it slow. He wanted to know what for. He said we love each other and-"

"And you're starting to wonder if what he said is true," I guessed.

"Yes - no - I don't know." She raised her head and stared at me. Her face was flushed and her eyes were bright. "I've never been in love before. I don't know what it feels like."

"Neither do I." I ran my hands up her arms and cupped her elbows. "But I do know that you make me happy." I dipped my head and brushed my lips against hers. "When I'm with you nothing else matters . . . nothing else exists. I would be lost without you."

"I feel the same way," she whispered.

"Good." I smiled at her. "Then let's just keep doing what we're doing and see what happens."

"I'd like that." Winnie returned my smile. "I'm sorry for taking you away from your work. You can go back to it."

Are you sure?" I inquired.

"I'm sure." She reached up and touched my cheek. "I'm fine now."

I dropped a kiss on her mouth and then went back into my office.

Winnie and I were sitting on her couch, that evening, watching TV when the telephone rang. Slipping out of my embrace, Winnie slid to the end of the couch and grabbed the cordless from the end table.

"Hello." She paused for a moment to listen to whoever was on the other end of the line. "Cassie, I'm glad you called. How have you been?"

Wanting to give her some privacy, I stood and headed for the kitchen. Once there, I turned on the light and moved toward the fridge. I opened the door, bending down to look inside. Nothing looked interesting. I closed the door and started searching through the cabinets.

"What are you looking for?" Winnie asked me.

I turned slightly and glanced at her over my shoulder. "I don't know. I was hoping something would jump out at me. You didn't stay on the phone long. Is everything okay with your sister?"

"Everything's fine." She leaned against the door frame. "She had to let me go because one of the kids needed her. I told her I would call her tomorrow. You know talking to her made me realize how much I miss her." She pushed away from the door and came toward me. "If I find someone to take my place would it be alright if I flew to Wyoming for a week?"

"When would you want to go?" I asked.

"Saturday."

I brushed the hair back from her face and caressed her cheek. "That's fine by me, but you're forgetting that you have to visit Mark at the prison on Sunday."

"I'll leave Sunday then," Winnie said.

"What if he doesn't want you going and-"

She pressed her finger to my lips. "We are not going to play the what if game, honey."

Before I could say anything my cell phone rang. I retrieved it from my pocket and pressed the talk button. "Hello."

"Reed, it's your father," he said. "I'm sorry to be calling so late, but something happened that you need to be made aware of."

"Should I sit down?" I asked, sensing that he was about to deliver bad news.

"It wouldn't hurt," he replied. I took a seat at the table. "Son, there's no easy way to say this, but your mother had a heart attack. "

Feeling as though someone had suddenly punched me in the stomach, I took several deep breaths. "Is she going to be alright?"

"It was touch and go at first, but the doctor thinks she will make a full recovery," he replied. "She wasn't feeling well so I suggested she go and lie down for a while. I went up to check on her an hour later and she was sitting on the side of the bed clutching her chest. I quickly called for an ambulance and rode to the hospital with her."

"Have you told Mark yet?" I queried quietly.

"I called the prison and spoke with the warden," father responded. "He told me he would deliver the message to Mark personally."

"I won't bother Mother tonight." I massaged the back of my neck. "I'll drop by in the morning and see her."

"I'm afraid she doesn't want to see you," he informed me. "She's still angry with you over Mark and-and I'm sorry she's shutting you out, son."

"It's nothing new, Dad. Keep an eye on her and let me know if there's anything I can do." I paused for a few moments before asking, "How are you doing?"

"I'm doing okay," he answered. "Are you going to be alright?"

"Don't worry about me," I told him. "I'll be fine. We'll talk more tomorrow." I hung up the phone and sat there motionless.

Winnie came toward me, stopped in front of the chair, and placed her hand on my shoulder. "What happened?" she asked softly.

I pulled her onto my lap and wrapped my arms around her. The weight of her body was a comfort to me. I buried my nose in her fragrant hair and filled her in on what father had just told me. Thankfully, she didn't interrupt me and I was able to get it over with quickly.

"I'm sorry," she whispered. "I'm sorry she's being selfish and shutting you out."

"Like I said to Dad, it's nothing new," I told her.

"Still it's wrong." She stroked my cheek with the back of her hand. "Is there anything I can get you . . . anything you need me to do?" She lifted her head off my shoulder and glanced at me. "I'm here for you."

"I know you are." I tucked a lock of hair behind her ear and gave her a weak smile. "I don't need anything."

"Would you like to stay with me tonight?" she asked softly.

"Will you hold me and promise not to let me go?"

Winnie kissed me on the jaw. "I promise."

Without uttering a word, I slipped one arm under Winnie's knees and made sure my other one was more securely around her. Standing, I carried her through the dark house and into her room. Once there, we laid down on the bed and Winnie gathered me close.

"Wake me if you can't sleep and you want to talk," she said.

I promised her I would and then kissed her good night.