Chapter 7

Thank you all for your support. I appreciate it. Hope you enjoy the new chapter. :)

(Winnie)

I was in the living room the following morning watering the plants when the doorbell rang. Putting down the watering can, I hurried through the room and into the foyer. I unlocked the door, opened it, and found my neighbor Lucy standing there. She was holding an infant car seat. Asleep inside was her two-month-old son.

"I'm so sorry for bothering you, but I was wondering if you would watch Patrick for half an hour," she said. "I need to run over to my mother-in-laws house. Usually I would take the baby so she could see him, but she's coming down with something and I don't want him to catch it."

"I don't blame you," I told her. "Of course, I'll watch him."

"Thank you." She transferred the car seat to my arms and dropped the diaper bag on the small table near the door. "I just fed him and changed his diaper. He should be good to go until I get back." She squeezed my arm gently. "Thank you, Winifred. I owe you one."

"Don't worry about it." I smiled down at the baby. "I enjoy watching him."

"I'm glad," she said. "I always feel safe leaving him with you. I know he is in good hands. Well, I better go. I'll be back soon." She turned and walked away.

I shut the door and headed back to the living room, where I carefully set the car seat on the couch. Bending over the baby, I caressed his smooth cheek with my index finger. He opened his big brown eyes and looked up at me. My heart melting, I lifted him out of the seat and sat down, cradling him in my arms. He let out a whimper and then quieted down.

"You're such a precious baby boy." Slowly I began to rock him. "I've never told anyone this, but sometimes I lie awake at night and wonder what it would be like to have a little one as sweet as you. What do you think? Do you think that I would be a good mommy?"

"You would be a wonderful mommy," Reed stated.

Startled I jerked my head up and saw him standing in the doorway. It was on the tip of my tongue to snap at him for barging in uninvited. The only thing that kept me from speaking my mind was knowing that what I said wouldn't do any good. The man was set in his ways. I sighed softly and returned my attention to the baby. "Maybe someday I'll give motherhood a try."

"I hope you will," he uttered quietly.

"Tell me something," I said. "How come you're not married with a houseful of little Drummonds running around?"

"I'd love to settle down and have children." He sighed heavily. "It's just hard to find a woman that's interested in me and not the size of my bank account. I want someone who wants me, not my money."

"I'm sorry." I glanced his way once more and noticed he had a wistful expression on his face. "There's so much more to you than your wealth. You're generous, funny, smart,-"

"Handsome," he added. "Don't forget handsome."

I rolled my eyes. "Alright,  you're handsome too. It's a shame that most women only see dollar signs when they look at you." I paused for a moment. "Don't give up. Your better half is out there somewhere. She'll come along when you least expect it. Isn't that right, Patrick?"

"Who knows," Reed said softly. "She could be someone I already know."

"It's possible." I winked at the baby. "You're not going to have any problem finding a girl when you grow up, my little man. Girls will be falling all over themselves to get to you."