Chapter 8

Thank you all for your support. I appreciate it. I hope you enjoy the new chapter. :)

(Reed)

With a growl of frustration I put down my ink pen, pushed back my chair, and stood. I turned toward the large window behind me and gazed out. As I watched the traffic below my mind drifted to thoughts of Winnie. No matter how hard I tried I couldn't get the image of her holding baby Patrick out of my head. Seeing her with him made the yearning for a family stronger. My heart heavy, I sighed softly.

I was brought out of my melancholy thoughts by the phone ringing. Turning away from the window, I snatched up the receiver. "Hello."

"Hi, Reed."

"Faith," I said surprised to hear from her. "How are you?"

"Let me see," she muttered. "My feet and back ache. I have swollen ankles and I have to pee constantly. I'm doing great."

"Sorry I asked," I said dryly.

Faith laughed. "It was sweet of you. I'm afraid I have some bad news. We won't be able to fly out to visit you. I checked with my doctor to see if it was safe to fly and she told me no. Women in their last trimester are advised not to. I'm sorry. We were looking forward to seeing you and Winifred."

"I have an idea." I sat down. "Winnie and I will come to you. We'll fly out Friday evening and stay the weekend. Is that alright?"

"Of course," she assured me. "We'd love to have you both. I'm looking forward to visiting with Winifred. How is she?"

Feeling the beginnings of a headache coming on, I rubbed my forehead. "She's well."

"And how are you?" she inquired.

"I don't know, Faith." Suddenly weary I closed my eyes. "Lately I've been feeling as though my life has been passing me by and I'm standing still. I own a chain of successful department stores. I have more money than I know what to do with and yet-"

"It's not enough anymore," Faith said softly. "You're longing for something more, aren't you?"

"Yes." I took a deep breath and let it out slowly. "I want a family. I want what you and Carter have."

"You can have that, sweetie," she told me. "It just so happens I know the perfect woman for you. It's Winifred. Carter and I both agree she's the only woman that can handle you. She's strong, yet kind hearted, smart, loyal,-"

"Beautiful," I added.

"So you've noticed," Faith said.

"I'm not blind." I massaged the back of my neck. "Of course, I noticed."

"How do you feel about her, Reed?" she wanted to know.

I stared at the wall while I gave her question some thought. How did I feel about Winnie? "I - I'm attracted to her. Lately I've been seeing in her traits that I've been looking for in a partner. Not only that, but I find it easy to share things with her . . . things I've never shared with anyone else. I like that I can let my guard down when I'm with her and just be myself."

"It sounds to me as though you care for her," Faith muttered. "If you want to find out how deeply your feelings go then spend some time with her outside of work. Get to know her on a more personal level. Who knows there could be something between you two. You just have to make an effort to find out."

Just then, the door opened and Winnie stepped into the office. The sight of her caused my heart to skip a beat. "Faith, I'm going to have to let you go. Say hi to everybody for me and I'll see you on Friday."

"Until Friday then," she said. "Bye, Reed."

I said goodbye and hung up the phone. "You know, Ms. Monroe, you're the only one that doesn't bother knocking. You just barge right on in."

"What can I say, Mr. Drummond?" She smirked at me. "I learned from the best."

"You mean me," I said. "Don't you?"

"Who else barges into my house uninvited?" She crossed the room, stopped in front of the desk, and held out a small stack of papers. "These need your signature. Make sure you get them back to me before the end of the day."

"Yes, ma'am." I took the stack from her and placed it on the corner of the desk. Clearing my throat, I asked her, "Does it bother you when I walk in uninvited?"

"Well-" Winnie hesitated and began to fidget under my stare.

"Spit it out, Monroe," I growled quietly already knowing the answer, but needing to hear her say it.

"Fine," she sighed. "Yes, it bothers me."

I frowned up at her. "Why didn't you say something to me?"

"I didn't want to hurt your feelings." She tucked a lock of hair that had escaped her ponytail behind her ear. "Besides, it's your house. You have every right to come and go when you please. I wasn't about to-"

"Winnie," I groaned, shaking my head. "You little fool. You live in the house and you pay rent. Therefore, in my eyes it's your house and you have the right to say who can come into it. You even have the right to kick whomever you want out."

"So I can kick you out anytime I want?" Winnie asked.

"Anytime you want," I assured her.

She tilted her head a little. "Is it possible for me to get that in writing?"

I grinned at her. "Do you want me to sign my name with my own blood?"

"You don't have to go that far," she said, wrinkling her nose.

"I'll see what I can do about getting it in writing." I smiled at her. "I'll ring the doorbell from now on."

"And I'll knock before entering the office." She stuck her hands into the pockets of her black slacks. "Is everything alright with Faith?"

"Yes." I grabbed a styrofoam cup from beside the computer and tossed it in the trash bin that was next to the desk. "She just wanted to tell me that they can't come for a visit. Her doctor told her she couldn't fly in her condition. I told her we would fly there and spend the weekend." I grimaced. "Maybe I should've talked with you first. If you don't want to go I will understand and there will be no-"

"I want to go." She pivoted on her heels and headed toward the door.

"Winnie," I called out to her. She turned with an eyebrow raised. "I'm not really in the mood to attend the art exhibit tonight. Do you want to skip it and have dinner instead? I know this great little restaurant near the park that makes a mean beef stew."

She smiled at me. "Taylor's."

"You know the place?" I asked.

"Yes," she replied. "It's my favorite restaurant."

I realized it was something we had in common because it was mine too. "Say six-thirty then?"

"Sure."

I found that I couldn't wait until six-thirty.