Chapter 11

You all are amazing. Thank you so much for your support. Hope you enjoy the new chapter. :)

(Winnie)

Swearing under my breath, I jerked open a desk drawer and rifled through it. When I didn't find what I was looking for I searched the next drawer and then the one after that. I came up empty handed. A quick glance through my purse had my heart sinking. I had lost my reading glasses. Another curse, this one fouler than the first one, passed my lips.

"I never knew you had such a colorful vocabulary."

I turned my head and glared at Reed, who was standing in the doorway to his office. "Yeah, well stick around and you might hear some more."

"What's wrong, Winnie?" he asked, coming toward me.

"I can't find my damn glasses," I snapped.

"I bet I know where they are," he said, grinning.

I frowned at him. "Really, where?"

"They're on your head, silly." Reed leaned down and removed my glasses from my head. He gently slid them onto my face and kissed the tip of my nose. "Better now?"

"Yes, thank you." I smiled at him. "You're breaking the condition I put into place regarding our relationship, Mr. Drummond. I specifically told you we are to keep our business and-"

"Personal relationships separate," he finished. "I remember what you said, Winnie. I forgot myself for a moment. I'll try not to let it happen again. If it does, you'll have to forgive me. Now that you're mine I'm finding it difficult to keep my hands to myself."

I gazed into his beautiful eyes and felt my resolve crumble. He was close, so close I could smell his cologne and feel the heat radiating from his body. My eyes drifted toward his mouth and I found I wanted to kiss him. Boy, did I want to kiss him. I wanted to feel the way he made me feel last night when I was in his arms and he was kissing me.

"What are you thinking?" Reed inquired.

"I'm thinking - I'm thinking I want to kiss you," I whispered my heart pounding in my ears.

"Winnie," he groaned. "You reprimand me for not behaving and then you go and say something like that."

"I'm sorry." I took a deep breath and willed my wildly beating heart to slow down. "You asked me what I was thinking. I wasn't going to lie to you. Maybe I wouldn't have the urge to kiss you so badly if you weren't invading my personal space. You're too damn close."

"I can't help it that I like to be close to you." Reed dipped his head and I felt his hot breath on my neck. I tried my best not to shiver. "Your scent and the warmth of your body calls to me. You're like a drug that has gotten into my system. Maybe your kisses are a drug because they seem to be all I can think about."

My breath lodged in my throat. Giving in to my urges, I turned my head and brushed my lips across his, hearing his swift intake of breath. "So much for keeping business and pleasure separate," I muttered against his mouth.

"What can I say?" He nipped tenderly at my lips. "I'm irresistible and you're weak. Now stop teasing and give me a proper kiss."

"Whatever you say, Mr. Drummond." I wrapped my arms around his neck and captured his mouth in a searing kiss.

Thanks to Gabe, Clancy was saddled and waiting for me when I arrived at the stables later that day. Eager to ride I quickly mounted the horse and steered him in the direction of my favorite riding trail. Getting away for an hour or two to be one with nature was my idea of unwinding after a long day.

I took a deep breath and studied my surroundings. To my left was a grove of trees and to my right was nothing but open field. The sky was a beautiful shade of blue. I couldn't help but notice that the color reminded me of Reed's eyes. A smile broke out on my lips as I thought about the kiss we shared in the office earlier. There was no doubt whatsoever. The man knew how to kiss.

"Reed and I are going out of town tomorrow." I gave Clancy a pat on the neck. "We'll be gone all weekend so I won't be here Sunday for our ride. Don't worry. Gabe will take care of you. I promise when I get back we'll go for a ride and I'll tell you all about the trip."

"While I'm gone I need to find some time to work on my speech." I sighed. "I forgot to tell you about that. The head of a cancer research institute is holding a charity event. He wants to honor Reed for his contribution to cancer research at this event by presenting him with a plaque. I should say he wants me to present Reed with the award, which means I have to speak in public. You know how much I hate speaking in public." My stomach clenched painfully. "I'm doing it because I care for Reed. That's the only reason."

When I got back from my ride I discovered Reed waiting for me. He was sitting on a bale of hay talking on his cell phone. He looked out of place in his dress shirt, tie, and slacks. Wondering how he found out I was here, I dismounted and moved toward him. He slipped his phone into his pocket and stood.

"Did you have a nice ride?" he asked me.

"I did," I answered. "How did you know I was here?"

"I overheard you telling your sister on the phone that you were going for a ride after work." He bent over and kissed me. Behind me, Clancy let out a sharp cry. Reed straightened up slowly and glanced at the horse. "Take it easy, buddy. Don't eat me. I'm not hurting her."

I snorted with laughter. "He's not going to eat you. Clancy's a gentle soul."

He eyed the horse warily. "Sure he is. I came here wanting to get to know him because he's important to you, but I'm starting to rethink the-"

"You want to get to know him?" I asked quietly.

Reed touched my cheek and smiled. "He's a big part of your life, Winnie. Of course, I want to get to know the beast - I mean horse."

"Stay here." I walked back to Clancy, gathered up the reins, and led him over to Reed. "Horses can sense when a person is uneasy so try and relax. He won't hurt you. Now I want you to stand still. Let him get a feel for you. He'll let you know when he's ready for you to touch him." I stroked the horse on the nose. "This is Reed, sweetie. You know, the one I've been telling you about."

"You talk to him about me?" he muttered, raising an eyebrow.

"I talk to him about everything." I shrugged my shoulders. "He's a wonderful listener."

"I just bet he is."

Clancy stretched out his neck and ran his velvet nose over Reed's face and hair. I stood by quietly and watched with amusement while Reed tried not to fidget. After a few minutes, Clancy bumped him gently with his nose.

"He's giving you permission," I said. "You can touch him."

"Oh, goody." Slowly Reed raised his hand and scratched Clancy between the eyes. The horse lowered his head and began to flick his tail side to side. "I guess you're not so bad."

"Just wait and see." I smirked. "You'll be on horseback in no time."

"Hell no," he growled. "I'll scratch him, pat him, even take him out to dinner, but it will be a cold day in hell before you get me on him."

"Relax, Reed." I reached for Clancy's reins. "I was just having a little fun with you. Why don't you come into the stables with me? I'll teach you how to take off his saddle and groom him. When we're done, you can give him an apple. That should earn you points with him."

"Will it earn me points with you, Ms. Monroe?" he asked his eyes twinkling.

I winked at him. "Most definitely, Mr. Drummond."