Chapter 2

Thank you for your support. I appreciate it. Hope you enjoy the chapter. :)

(Reed)

A few minutes before eight o'clock, I brought the car to a stop a short distance from the plane. Putting it in park, I turned off the ignition and glanced over at Winnie. She had her laptop open on her lap and was busy typing. With her occupied I took the opportunity to study her openly.

Winnie looked lovely in a pale blue blouse and black skirt. She wore her long dark brown hair in a knot at the back of her head. Behind a pair of wire framed glasses, that were perched on the bridge of her small nose, were steel gray eyes. She had that sexy librarian look going for her. I liked it.

"You're staring," she muttered without taking her eyes off the screen. "Kindly direct your attention elsewhere."

I removed my seat belt and leaned toward her. "Does it bother you?" I asked, ogling her with a smirk on my face.

"Yes." Winnie closed her laptop and slipped it back in its bag. "How would you feel if I stared at you like you were a piece of meat?"

"I would feel flattered," I responded.

She snorted. "You probably would."

I chuckled softly.

"I didn't realize I was funny." She took off her reading glasses, put them in their case, and stuck the case in her purse. "I would say goodbye, but something tells me you want to go aboard and speak with the pilots."

I grinned at her. "You know me too well, Winnie."

"Unfortunately." She sighed heavily. "Well, if you must. Come along, Mr. Boss Man."

I arched an eyebrow at her. "Are you giving me an order?"

Winnie's lips started twitching. "Of course not."

"That's what I thought."

We stepped out of the car and I opened the back door to grab Winnie's overnight bag from the seat. Closing the door, I followed her across the tarmac and up the stairs. Once inside the plane, I stowed her bag in an overhead compartment and then went up front to the cockpit. The pilots were conversing in a low voice. I wished them a good evening.

"Good evening, Mr. Drummond," the pilot said. "We'll be ready for takeoff shortly."

"Good," I muttered. "How long will it take to reach Baton Rouge?"

"Flight time is approximately an hour and twenty minutes," the co-pilot informed me. "I checked the weather forecast and it looks like we'll have a smooth flight."

"I'll pass that bit of news along to Ms. Monroe." I peered at my watch. "Give me a few minutes to speak with her and then I'll let you get out of here." I clapped them on the back. "Safe flying, gentlemen."

"Thank you," they said at the same time.

I left the cockpit and made my way up the aisle. Winnie was already in her seat and was strapping herself in. I paused beside her seat and gazed down at her. "It'll take about an hour and twenty minutes to reach Baton Rouge. One of the pilot's checked the forecast and said it looks like you'll have a smooth flight."

"Good because I hate flying through a storm," she confessed.

"I want you to call me the minute the plane lands," I ordered her, crossing my arms. "Let me know you made it safely. I mean it, Winnie. If you don't call me there will be hell to pay. Don't make me worry."

"Anything else?" Winnie inquired. "Do you want me to call you when I reach the hotel? Or how about before I go to bed? I could-"

"Don't be a smart ass, Winnie." I squeezed her shoulder gently. "Have a safe flight."

"If you don't get off the plane you'll be going with me."

"I'm leaving." I turned and headed for the stairs.

"Good evening, sir."

I smiled at the prison guard. "Good evening, Ben. How's the wife and kids?"

"They're doing well," he replied. "Thank you for asking."

"You're welcome." I gestured at the door behind him. "Is he waiting?"

"Yes, sir."

"Then I better go in." I took a deep breath, moved past him, and opened the door. Walking into the room, I nodded at the guard, who was stationed just inside the door, and moved toward the glass partition that ran the length of the room. I pulled out a chair and sat down. My heart pounding in my ears, I glanced at the man on the other side of the glass.

Muscular with broad shoulders, he had green eyes and brown hair. He was wearing a blue jumpsuit. Tattoos covered his neck and arms. We were as different as night and day and yet we had the same blood running through our veins. He reached for the receiver on the wall. I did likewise.

"Nice of you to take time out of your busy schedule to pay your brother a visit," he said. "How long has it been since you last graced me with your presence?"

I thought about the question for a moment. "It's been three weeks, I believe."

"Exactly."

"Look, Mark," I said. "I haven't-"

"That hot little assistant of yours makes time to come and-"

"Hold on." I frowned. "Are you saying Winnie comes to see you?"

"Every Sunday." Mark smirked at me. "Where is she? Why hasn't she come to see me today? I always enjoy our visits."

"She's away on business." I shifted on the hard plastic chair and cleared my throat. "How long has she been coming to see you?"

"I'd say five months." He leaned forward in his chair. "She brings me cookies. I'm the envy of most guys on the cell block. I got a beautiful woman bringing me food." He winked at me. "My favorite visits are when she wears a dress and shows off those curves. She's got a tight little a-"

"Enough!" I snarled as a mixture of possessiveness and anger surged inside of me. "I won't have you talking vulgar about her."

Mark winked at me."Got a thing for the lovely Ms. Monroe, do you, big brother?"

"No," I said coolly. "I just don't want you talking dirty about one of my employee's. Did she happen to mention how she found out about you?"

"Nope." Mark sneered. "Forgot to mention that you had a brother. What's wrong, bro? Are you ashamed of me?"

I looked into his eyes and spoke truthfully. "Yes." To my surprise, he laughed.

"At least you're honest."

I gripped the receiver hard enough that my knuckles turned white. "Does she know why you're in here?"

Mark grinned crookedly. "I might've fibbed a little on that one. I told her I was serving time for accidentally shooting my girlfriend. I came up with a good story. The gullible little thing bought it."

"You're never seeing her again," I growled as anger coursed through me.

"You want to bet on it?" he drawled, his eyes blazing. "I've got her wrapped around my finger."

"We'll see about that." It was my turn to grin. "She obeys me, little brother. I tell her what to do and she does it."

"I'm done." Mark hung up the receiver, got to his feet, and ordered the guard to take him back to his cell.

I sat there and watched as he walked out the door. Winnie had some explaining to do.