Chapter 29

Thank you all for your support. It truly means a lot to me. I hope you enjoy the new chapter. :)

(Winnie)

"I wonder why your father wants to see us," I said to Reed. It was Sunday afternoon, three days later. We were sitting on a stone bench in the Drummonds backyard waiting for Mr. Drummond to join us.

"He probably has more bad news to share with us," he muttered.

"I hope not." I took Reed's hand and studied him intently. With dark circles under his eyes and pale skin, he looked unwell. I wished more than anything that I could take away his pain. My heart in my throat I leaned in close and kissed him on the cheek. "Have I told you today that I love you?"

"No."

"I love you," I whispered.

Reed smiled slowly. "I love you, too, Winnie." He squeezed my hand gently. "I know you're worried about me. Don't worry. I'm going to be fine."

"Telling me not to worry is like telling the sun it can't rise or the wind it can't blow." I smiled weakly. "But for you, I will do my best not to worry."

He raised my hand to his lips and kissed my knuckles. "Thank you, sweetheart." He sighed softly. "How's your family?"

"They're doing well," I said.

"Good," Reed muttered. "I promise you the next time you go for a visit I'll go with you and it won't be another year before you see them. I want you to visit them more than just one week out of the year. Maybe I'll buy a home in Wyoming. It would be nice for us to get away from the city for a while and enjoy the fresh air and peace and quiet."

"That sounds like a wonderful idea," I told him.

We lapsed into silence. I glanced at our surroundings, taking in the beautiful rosebushes around us and the clear blue sky above us. It was a gorgeous day. I could easily sit here with Reed for hours. "I don't-" The words stuck in my throat as I spotted them. Coming toward us was Reed's parents.

"What's wrong?" Reed asked.

"Your mother and father are here," I mumbled.

"They let her out," he hissed. "It's too soon. She needs to be in the hospital longer than three days. What the hell were they thinking?"

"I don't know," I said.

"Thank you for coming," Mr. Drummond said. "This won't take long. I have to have Miranda back at the hospital in an hour."

"Hello, Mother," Reed muttered, getting to his feet.

"Reed," she croaked. "Hello, Winifred."

"Mrs. Drummond." I scooted over. "Please, sit down." She lowered herself on to the bench. From the corner of my eye, I stared at her. Her face was deathly pale and her eyes were bloodshot. I lowered my gaze and noticed the white bandages that covered her wrists. She must have felt I was watching her because she quickly tugged her sleeves down, hiding the bandages from sight.

Mr. Drummond cleared his throat. "We asked you here, Reed, because your mother and I have something to tell you. We invited Winifred because what we have to tell you is going to be difficult for you to hear. We thought Winifred could lend you her support."