Chapter 27

Thank you all for your support. Hope you enjoy this chapter. :)

(Winnie)

Several minutes before nine o'clock, I slipped outside and took a seat in one of the rocking chairs. Setting the chair in motion with my foot, I listened to the sounds of nature and enjoyed the cool breeze on my face. I closed my eyes only to open them again when my cell phone rang. Breaking into a smile, I retrieved the phone from my pocket and answered it. "Hello, handsome."

"Sweetheart," Reed said. "I know I'm calling a little early, but something has happened and I-"

"Are you alright?" I asked, my heart skipping a beat.

"It's not me, honey," he said. "It's Mark. There's no easy way to say this, but he's dead."

 My breath lodged in my throat. "Oh, Reed," I croaked. "How did it happen?"

"He got into a fight with one of the guards," Reed explained. "Mark had an hour to himself in the yard. Anyway, his hour was up and he was refusing to go back to his cell. The guard tried to get him to obey and a fight broke out. Things turned ugly quickly and the guard had no chose but to defend himself."

"I'm sorry, love." Tears filled my eyes and spilled over. "H-how are you doing?"

 "I'm doing alright," he assured me. "I wish I could say I'm surprised by this, but I'm not. Mark was always getting into fights. It was bound to catch up with him eventually."

 "I want to come home and-"

 "No," Reed interrupted. "You stay where you are. I want you to visit with your family."

I swiped a tear away with the back of my hand. "I can't stay, Reed. I want to be with you. I need to be with you." The urge to hold him close-to hear his heart beating was so strong it nearly took my breath away. "I'm coming home tonight. No arguments, please."

"Okay," he said. "I'll pick you up at the airport and-"

"No," I cut in. "I'll call for a car. You just stay put."

"Call me when you're in the air," Reed said.

I promised him I would and ended the call. Rising from the chair, I turned and found Cassie standing there. The porch light shone on her face, showing me the look of worry she wore. "I have to go home, sis. Reed's brother died and I want to be there for him."

"You love him," Cassie said, her eyes on my face. "I can see it in your eyes."

She was right. I did love him. When it happened or how it happened, I didn't know. All that mattered was that I loved him. "Then you understand why I have to go."

She nodded. "I'll help you pack."

It was after twelve-thirty when the car pulled into the driveway. Exhausted, I thanked the driver, collected my luggage, and headed up the walkway. Letting myself into the mansion, I deposited my suitcase by the door and went in search of Reed. I discovered him in the living room. He was sitting in the recliner, watching TV.

The sight of him caused my heart to squeeze painfully in my chest and brought fresh tears to my eyes. Slowly, I made my way toward him. As I drew near he glanced in my direction and our eyes met. He stood and I all but ran to him. I threw my arms around him and buried my face against his chest. His arms closed around me. Home, I was home.

"I missed you," Reed said hoarsely.

"I missed you too." Shutting my eyes, I breathed in his scent, rubbing my nose against his shirt. "And I'll never leave you again."

Reed tilted my head back, framing my face with his hands. He lowered his head and took my mouth in a kiss. It was tender, sweet, full of longing. Our separation made it more special, more meaningful. We kissed as though we hadn't kissed in ages.

After what felt like an eternity, but was really only a few minutes, we ended the kiss. Our breaths uneven Reed steered me to the recliner, sat down, and pulled me onto his lap. His arms held me close and I laid my head on his shoulder. We didn't speak. No words were needed. We simply held each other, taking comfort in each others arms.

Reed and I had just finished breakfast, later that morning, when the doorbell rang. Insisting on answering the door, I left the kitchen and crossed the entrance hall. I unlocked the door and opened it. Mr. Drummond stood there, looking as though he hadn't slept in days.

"Hello, Winifred," he greeted me.

"Mr. Drummond." I moved aside and he crossed the threshold. Shutting the door, I turned to face him. "I - I'm sorry about Mark."

He nodded. "How is Reed?"

"He's doing okay." I tucked several strands of hair behind my ear. "And Mrs. Drummond, how is she?"

He bowed his head and was silent for a moment. "I'll answer that question soon," he answered quietly.

"Why don't we join Reed in the kitchen?" I pivoted on my heels and led the way. When we entered the room, Reed stood and met his father halfway. They hugged briefly and then we sat down at the table.

"How is mother doing?" Reed wanted to know.

A flicker of pain passed across Mr. Drummond's face. He opened and closed his mouth a couple of times before he was able to speak. "She's not well. Early this morning she attempted - she attempted to take her own life. I dropped by the mansion to check on her and I found her. She had slit her wrists."

I heard Reed suck in a breath. I took his hand, gripping it tightly.

"I called for an ambulance and then tried to stop the bleeding." He sighed heavily and rubbed his eyes. "It wasn't easy. She was fighting me every step of the way. Thankfully, the ambulance got there quickly and was able to get her under control. I spoke with her doctor before coming over here. Physically she's going to be fine."

"She's been admitted to a psychiatric hospital, hasn't she?" I asked even though I all ready knew the answer.

"Yes," Mr. Drummond croaked. "For how long I don't know. It could be a while."

"Maybe it's for the best." I swallowed hard. "Maybe they can give her the help she needs."

"I hope so." He ran a hand through his hair. "I should've kept a closer eye on her. If I had then maybe-"

"Don't," Reed growled. "You didn't know what she was planning to do. It's not your fault so don't blame yourself. Now do you need any help with the funeral arrangements?"

Mr. Drummond shook his head. "It's all ready been taken care of. Mark's going to be cremated and his ashes will be scattered in Miranda's rose garden. Now that Mark is gone there will be no reason for her to leave Dallas." He cleared his throat. "We talked once about what we would do with Mark if something happened to him. It was Miranda's wish to have him cremated and put in the garden."

All this talk of death bothered me. I wanted to leave the kitchen, but I forced myself to stay. I wasn't going to leave Reed's side. Taking a deep breath, I willed myself to pay attention to what they said.