Chapter 22

I hope you enjoy the new chapter. :)

(Winnie)

I glanced up from a slice of chocolate cake and found Reed watching me. He had an amused expression on his face. I started to ask him if he would explain to me what he found so amusing and stopped when he reached across the table and wiped my chin with his napkin.

"Who knew you were so messy when you ate cake," he said.

"You should see me with ice cream." I put my fork down and picked up my cup of coffee. "I get more of it on my shirt then I do in my mouth."

Reed winked at me. "I look forward to seeing that."

I winked back and took a sip of coffee. "What did you think of Natalie?" I asked, referring to my replacement. I had introduced her to Reed this morning.

"It's too soon to form an opinion of her," he said. "I haven't worked with her yet. Give me a day or two with her and then ask me again. I should-" His cell phone rang, interrupting what he was going to say next. Grimacing, he retrieved his phone from his pocket. "Sorry, sweetheart, but I'm expecting an important call."

"That's fine," I assured him.

Reed pushed back his chair, stood, and bent down to kiss me. "I'll try to hurry back."

"Take your time." I watched him walk away, admiring the way in which he carried himself. There was no doubt he made a striking figure. Heads turned and glanced at him as he passed by, more women than men. If I wasn't so confident in mine and Reed's relationship I would be jealous of those female stares.

"Can I get you anything else?" the server asked, pausing next to the table.

I leaned my head back and smiled up at her. "No, thank you."

"You're welcome," she said, returning the smile. "If you change your mind let me know."

I promised her I would. While I waited for Reed to join me I checked my phone for any text messages or emails. There was an email from Cassie, saying she was excited and couldn't wait to see me tomorrow. I emailed her back and then put my phone away.

Reed rejoined me a few minutes later. "Did you miss me?" he wanted to know as he sat down.

"You were gone?" I pretended to look surprised. "I hadn't noticed."

"Funny," he said, rolling his eyes.

I smirked at him. "I thought so."

"Finish your cake, you little nut."

I stared at the cake longingly. I wanted to finish it, but there was no room left in my stomach for it. I ate too much at dinner. "I'll ask the server if I can take it with me."

Reed signaled for the server. When she arrived at our table he asked her for the check and if she would box up the rest of my cake. She picked up the plate and left the table. I pushed back my chair and picked my purse up from the floor next to my feet. "I need to visit the ladies room before we leave. I won't be long."

"I'll be counting the minutes until we're reunited," he said, smiling.

I blew him a kiss and headed to the restroom.

Thirty minutes later found Reed and I walking hand in hand through the garden. It was a lovely night and neither one of us was ready to see it end. When it ended it would be morning and morning meant one thing. We would be saying goodbye.

I leaned my head back and glanced up at the star studded sky. Tomorrow night I would be looking at this sky, over a thousand miles away, without Reed. I moved closer to him and squeezed his hand.

"You're awfully quiet, sweetheart," Reed commented, breaking the silence. "Do you want to tell me what's on your mind?"

"I was thinking that tomorrow night I'll be looking at this sky without you." I sighed. "I wish you could come with me."

"I wish I could, too, but my schedule is full. I can't get away." He stopped walking and pulled me to a stop in front of him. Placing his hands on my shoulders, he looked down at me. "I have an idea. When you get back clear my schedule for a few days and we'll spend them together."

"I like that idea." I slipped my arms around his waist and snuggled close. "Brilliant and handsome. I'm a lucky girl."

"I won't argue with you about that," Reed said, grinning.

Laughing softly, I punched him lightly on the arm.

"In all seriousness." He leaned down and brushed his lips against mine. "I'm the lucky one," he breathed, raising his head.

My heart melted. "You're too good to be true."

"No, that would be you."

"No, that would be you." He opened his mouth and I quickly silenced him with a kiss.

After breakfast, the next morning, Reed drove me to the airport. We didn't say much to each other on the way there, which suited me just fine. I probably wouldn't have been able to string together two words anyway. My mind was occupied with thoughts of Mark and what he might do to Reed when I didn't show up at the prison tomorrow. Various scenarios played out in my head, leaving a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach.

The plane was waiting on the tarmac when we arrived. While Reed saw to it that the suitcase was loaded into the belly of the plane I went on board to speak to the pilots. They informed me that it would take a little over two and a half hours to reach my destination, and that the weather looked promising. I thanked them and then left the cockpit. Reed was waiting for me in the cabin. I shared with him the information the pilots had passed along to me.

"Make sure you call me when you land," he said.

"I'll call you the minute the plane touches the ground." I encircled his neck with my arms. "I promise."

Reed gathered me close and took my mouth in a kiss that soon had me growing weak in the knees. Whimpering, I clung to him and kissed him back just as passionately as he was kissing me.

We ended the kiss when it became necessary for air. Reed pressed his forehead to mine and gazed into my eyes. I gazed back, my heart aching. We had never been apart for more than three days and here I was going away for a week. I felt like I was about to lose my best friend.

"We're not going to say goodbye," he said softly. "Because I can't do it."

"Good because I can't either." I swallowed hard. "Be careful while I'm away. Don't skip a meal and try to get plenty-"

"of sleep," he finished for me. "I shall do my best to be a good boy." He smirked. "If any of those cowboys on the ranch get any ideas I want you to tell them that you have a boyfriend, who can make their lives a living hell."

I cracked a smile. "I'll be sure and pass that along."

"We're ready to take off, Ms. Monroe," one of the pilots said.

"That's my cue to leave." Reed kissed me once more and reluctantly released me. "Have a safe flight, sweetheart."

Having suddenly lost the ability to speak, I nodded. Reed caressed my cheek with the back of his hand, turned around, and left the plane. On shaky legs I moved to my seat and strapped myself in. Closing my eyes, I took a deep breath and tried to keep from breaking down.

The door closed, a minute later. Shortly after that the plane began to move. I glanced out the window to catch one last look at Reed. He was leaning against the car, his arms crossed in front of him. I kept my eyes on him until I was airborne and then stared straight ahead. I was on my way to my family, but not all of me was going. My heart was staying behind with Reed.