Chapter 15- Wedding and Dabke-ing

CHAPTER 15 

Dunya's POV

 "Mama! Teta! Come on guys! We're going to be late for our own wedding!" I hollered hoping they'd get down as soon as possible. They've been getting dressed for what seemed like hours and my patience was quickly deteriorating. Today was the day of Adam's wedding and you could say I was at the most excited level in my life. My brother's finally getting married, and we are going to have the time of our life InshaAllah (God willing) today. I want it to be unforgettable for the both of them.

"Dunya, come here!" Teta called. "The washroom's out of toilet paper!"

I ran into our storage closet, grabbed a few extra rolls and headed upstairs. We had to be the first people at the hall for goodness sakes, we were the family of the groom! The lateness of my family was killing me. How embarrassing would it be if guests started arriving before we did?

I handed her the toilet paper and went to hurry my mom in her bedroom. She was standing in front of her mirror putting what seemed like a truckload of fancy pins into her hijab, as she had styled it for the oh-so-special occasion. Mama's fuscia dress and jacket looked beautiful on her; even more beautiful than the day she first tried it on. But it wasn't time now to start getting hyped up on little things, we had to be out the door.

I ran downstairs, put my heels on to add a little extra height, and grabbed my clutch as I started to open the door. I might as well get the car started, I thought. That'll get them moving.

"Dunya," my grandma addressed. I turned around to look at her expectantly. "Are you going outside like that?"

"Um, yeah," I said before returning to open the door.

"Are you missing anything?" she asked a smile slowly reaching her eyes. I doubt it, what's she talking about? I patted myself down and began shaking my head. I was all set. But it was once I reached my head did I panic. I felt hair, not fabric.

"Ya Allah (oh my God)! I forgot my hijab!" I yelled before running upstairs like a maniac tripping on my dress. I left Teta there laughing at me. Once we were all set, all covered- hint, hint, wink, wink- we got into the car and began heading to the hall.

Adam was over at the guys' houses getting ready. Him, Ibby, and a bunch of their friends were suiting up and gelling down. They'd go the hall once they were all ready. I was getting butterflies in my stomach just thinking about the wedding. I could not wait.

We drove into the hall parking lot, and got down. The Taha family came over yesterday to help us get the hall all decorated and ready. So when we were getting down, we weren't surprised to see them there, waiting for us.

"So sorry we're late," my mom apologized. "We were running a little behind and the main road was getting a little backed up," she looked at us guiltily and I sighed at her weak excuse of a fib. My mom wouldn't be able to lie if her life depended on it. We all greeted and kissed and began heading inside.

The hall looked perfect. I walked into the entry and in front of me I saw the backdrop on the stage, which looked amazing. It was full of white drapes and flowers, and looked beautiful. There were also white drapes hanging from the ceiling coming together in the middle with a crystal chandelier. The dance floor was in the middle of the hall and on either side were tables and chairs, one side for the groom's guests, and the other side for the bride's guests.

Soon enough, the first guests began coming in and the females stood on one side of the entrance to greet the female guests where the males stood on the other side to greet the males. I was smiling with such giddy because after being to so many weddings growing up, I've always envisioned being the main crew of one, and here we are. So much time, energy and money spent, and it's finally here. It was a dream come true.