Chapter 24- And We Just Are

"When words run dry,

he does not try,

nor do I.

We are on par.

He is just,

I just am.

And we just are. "

~Lang Leav

Chapter 24

 UNEDITED

               I couldn't believe it. I just couldn't get my mind to wrap around the idea and it felt as if time was slowing down to a pulse. I suddenly felt numb and unable to form a coherent thought. The whole backyard was quiet and for what seemed like eternity, the only noise was coming from the cackling of the fire and the almost inaudible cricket chirps. Then, like a lightning bolt, it hit me. All emotions of confusion, hatred and disbelief struck me so hard, I could have almost felt the physical pain attributed to having the wind knocked out of you.

               "The hell's he talking about?" Adam yelled, getting up to lunge at Cameron but Teta and Sumaya held him back.

               "Yeah, Cameron," Ibby snarled. "Why don't you tell her?"

               I looked over at Cameron, whose fists were clenched, as he looked down on the ground, his face reddening. "How'd you know?" he growled in a hushed tone, and a smirk grew on Ibby's face. He affirmed it right there and then. He didn't even try to deny it. My heart sunk and I could feel my eyes begin to water. I had to get out of there as quick as possible. I just had to.

               "You think you could've just hidden it from her like that? You think that just because you're a man-whore, you can play with her like that? She's a respected, independent girl who has a future. And you're so damn stupid if you think that you'd ever have a chance with a girl like her."

               Cameron's nose flared and his breathing quickened. "I asked you, how do you know?"

               "How do I know? I know because your idiot friend Chase has a big mouth and went blabbing about your bet to all of his friends who had their bets set on you, that's how. I'm not sure if you know this or not, but in this small town, word travels fast, especially when stakes are high on jerks like you."

               My head was spinning, and I felt nauseous. I couldn't take the humiliation anymore; I had to leave. I remembered back to the afternoon when Cameron was about to tell me why he told me he loved me, in the garage. He was going to tell me it wasn't real. He was going to tell me it was all for show. I was so stupid, so idiotic for believing that there would be a chance. I thought he was genuine, I had thought that there really was good in him that was hard to see at first, but I was wrong, and so was Teta. She led me to believe that he really was a good guy behind his hard exterior, but it was all faux. I went to so many great lengths to try to help him see the light and to be there for him but this was how he repaid me? I couldn't believe Teta was wrong, and I couldn't believe I fell for all his tricks. All the times he would act sweet and caring, and would show me a side of him that no one has seen before, it wasn't real. Or even if it was, it was for an alternative purpose... one regarding dough in his pocket. The pig. The filthy, disgusting pig he was. And to think, that if it weren't for Ibby, he would have taken advantage of what I thought was real compassion.