Chapter 21- Generous Beginnings

Do not pray for an easy life, pray for the strength to endure a difficult one.

~ Bruce Lee

CHAPTER 21

UNEDITED

We prayed Asr (afternoon prayer) at the mosque, and as Teta and I were getting our shoes from the ladies' side, we noticed Cameron waiting for us outside. When we met him there, he had his hands in his pockets, and was looking at both Teta and I nervously.  I had to fight the urge to stare him down, not only because we were right outside of the mosque, but also because I had to control myself around him. It was the only downside to having him around on an almost daily basis. I didn't know what to do with myself.

Teta picked up on Cameron's uneasiness and decided to open up about it. "So, are you planning on just waiting and scalding here in the heat, or..." she began. I take back what I said.

"Oh, yeah," Cameron finally came to. "I wanted to invite you both out for dinner. I guess you could consider it as a sort of celebratory outing," he suggested, his eyes filled with so much hope, that I didn't want to crush his optimism. "I, uh, also called my mom and Maxy to meet us there if you don't mind, too. I want to tell them that it's confirmed," he said referring to his embrace of Islam. It made my heart swell knowing how much he entrusted himself with us. The fact that he wanted to take us out, for whatever reason, showed that we were important to him. I mean the only other people were his sister and mom, so that must have meant something. I hope.

"We'd love to, "Teta said nudging me and I nodded frantically in agreement. Cameron just smirked.

"Alright, great," he said with a radiant smile, and looked at me for a split second. The look he gave me, however, was something I've never seen before. What seemed like an eon of him staring into my soul lasted a brief moment, and I couldn't decipher what it meant. All I knew was that the leap my heart took made my insides melt and it scared the living out of me.  I mean, how was it possible to like someone so much that just a glance could cause butter to melt, fireworks to explode, and tectonic plates to shift. It was something so great fit into such a small gesture, and it was hard to explain. It really was. "Let's get going then," he proposed. "The reservation's waiting for us," his lips slowly curled up, forming an apprehensive smirk.

By the time we drove up to Sude's Steakhouse, I was lost for words. It had to be the most expensive restaurant in Faycrest- one that I have never been to before. Just to show the luxuriousness of it, it had valet parking. No word of a lie. "C-Cameron, what are we doing here?" I asked in confusion and he chuckled.

"We're coming here to eat, chaparrita. That's what people do when they decide not to cook. They have people cook for them," he said explaining the process to me and I rolled my eyes at his sarcasm. I tried hiding a blush from my stupidity, but Cameron wasn't having it. He was clearly amused.

"Cameron, this is too much," Teta said, shocked as well by the extravagance of it all. "I mean, I know you have a part time job and all at the shoppe, but this must cost a fortune," Teta went on.

               "You know, as lazy and dependant I may seem, I can pull my own weight," he remarked quite proud of himself and Teta and I looked at him questioningly. "I invest in stocks, and you could say I'm doing well," he winked at Teta, linking arms with her as he lead us inside. The sight of him and Teta had me sighing, enchanted. We entered the restaurant, and immediately, I felt out of place, as everyone inside was dressed as formerly as possible, with suits, tuxes, dresses, pencil skirts and heels. Yet the minute we walked in, all dressed in casual jeans, and slacks, I could feel everyone staring at us.

"Cameron, I'm not sure if-"

"Trust me on this one, Dunya. You look absolutely fine. And if tonight doesn't go well, I'm sure to make it up to you," he promised and I complied, willing to give this outing a chance.