Chapter 20- Congrats, Brother!

I think perhaps love comes from finding someone you feel utterly comfortable with, someone who makes you comfortable with yourself. It's like... finding yourself, or maybe it's like finding the other  part of yourself. ~ Candice Proctor

CHAPTER 20

 UNEDITED

***5 MONTHS LATER***

I was about to go to school and finish the last of my exams when Teta came from behind me and gave me a hug. I turned around chuckling as I kissed her forehead. "I'll make you du'aa, Dunya. InshaAllah you'll do well. I know you've studied hard for this exam so I'm sure you'll pass with flying colors." They were the perfect words to say at a time like this, considering it would be the last exam of my high school career.

Over the past five months, I have gotten through my second semester successfully Alhamdulillah and was now prepared to finally get it all over and done with. With school quickly ending and summer approaching, I was ecstatic about finally moving on, but deathly afraid of it as well. The juxtaposition of the situation was no doubt confusing. I had no idea whether I should be happy or scared, so I decided to resort to just feeling both and seeing where it would take me.

At the end of last semester, I had received an early acceptance into Stanford University for the social psychology program, which I was absolutely thrilled about. It would mean, however, that I would have to move to California. I wouldn't be going there alone, of course. Teta would be coming with me and we could rent a place on the outskirts of town to reduce costs. My mother, on the other hand, decided not to come with us, and remain here in Faycrest because of her job. Her reason had validity, and even though I was a bit disappointed, I understood how hard it would be for her to just up and leave her job, and follow us to California where she would have to start to the job hunt all over again. Lucky, she discussed the matter with her boss, and made a deal for her to work full-time, but for only eight out of the twelve months, meaning she would fly over to Cali and stay with us for four months. We all decided that it was the best thing to do for all of us.

"Thank you Teta," I told her earnestly. Without her, I don't think I could have accomplished all that I have. Throughout everything, she has been there for me, and now it was time for me to-

"Remember Dunya, with every one door that closes, another one opens." She said, taking the words right out of my mouth, or mind, rather.

"I know, Teta, this is going to be a new beginning for the both of us, and InshaAllah all goes well."

"Don't worry Dunya, you're always full of worry. All that talk about destinations- it just gets in the way of enjoying the journey," she said firmly, gripping my shoulders. "It's about the journey, Dunya, and you have got to enjoy it. Imagine, that in a few short months we'll be walking along the beach on the west coast, soaking up some sun and enjoy some hijab tan lines," Teta beamed and I laughed whole-heartedly. It was honestly amazing how sure she was of herself. She rarely focused on the future, and seldom on the past. Her priority was the present, and she was so keen on making it mine too.

"Teta, I'm going there to study, remember? It's not a vacation or anything," I shook my head, smiling.

"Yeah, yeah," she brushed me off. "You can do some of that too, but why not make it a vacation while we're there. See the difference? It's all perception. So why not take advantage of it, huh?" she suggested and I just sighed, defeated. She did have a point. I didn't have to make the change all gloom and doom.

"Anyway, Teta, I've got to go," I said as soon as I heard Casey's car honk, signaling her arrival. "My exam is awaiting me," I said in a British accent and curtsied, causing Teta to topple over in laughter. "Okay, yallah salam, Teta!" I yelled on my way out and she replied with a wave and thumbs up. When I hopped into Casey's car, she blew Teta a kiss and sped off. She turned on the radio and I put it on a Latino channel, which I was grateful for. I always felt comfortable listening to Spanish music because of its general upbeat tunes and its ability to put anyone in a good mood. It is crazy, and magical, and is my ultimate favorite. But that's that the only reason. I also love Latino music because I can't understand it. Thus, if anything bad or inappropriate is being said, it never affects me, because I have not a clue what it being sung. Instead, I give them a positive message in my head when listening. With that being said, it doesn't mean I go haywire play in it public, but I do enjoy it whenever I can. Like Teta always says, ignorance is bliss. And especially In this case, it cannot be any truer. Maluma's "Carnaval" came on and we listened to it up until we were at school.