Chapter 8- Thanks Dr. Phil

CHAPTER 8

Unfortunately, the spiritual high didn't last that long because the next morning, I was waking up early in the morning in the process of getting ready for school. I hit the shower, still yawning from the lack of sleep from the previous night's late gathering.  I felt the hot water hit my skin and began scrubbing, immediately cleansing my skin from the grime that built up yesterday, and it felt so refreshing. Following my shower, I changed my clothes, brushed my teeth and I headed downstairs to eat some breakfast. 

As I came downstairs, I was surprised to see Adam all freshened up, smelling of a mix of musk and soap (a surprisingly good combination), his hair jelled up to perfection and his clothes being classy and presentable versus his usual sweats and baggy tees. He honestly looked like a completely different person, not that I was complaining. But it was odd seeing him take his personal hygiene to another level. 

"Sabah al khayr (good morning) Adam," I greeted as I approached him cautiously.

"Hey Dunya, here, I already made your oatmeal," he said whilst passing me a bowl of steaming oatmeal with pieces of strawberries in it and a drizzle of honey. I eyed the bowl suspiciously wondering if it was some kind of joke, but when I looked over to Adam, he was talking to Mama about going today with Sumaya and her mom out for lunch.

Oh, so that's what this is about, Sumaya. I'm surprised I didn't put two and two together. He's never put so much effort into his appearance and obviously it makes sense now since he's trying to dress to impress. I must say however, that I don't mind this new version of him 

Once I finished my oatmeal, Casey came, picked me up and we went to school. As I was getting out of the car, I noticed Cameron standing near the parking lot talking to Chase. And by the looks of it, they seemed to be in a heated debate. That however, didn't faze Casey who just took me by the hand and started skipping over to where they were standing. I was hoping to talk to Casey before she made me meet Chase, but knowing Casey, she isn't one to take to plans, she is more spontaneous and apparently now she felt was a good time for me to meet the person she is in a relationship with. Oh brother.

As we approached them, Chase eyed Casey up and down and a lazy smile appeared on his face. "Hey girl," he said to her as he slung an arm around her waist. She just stood there all giddily and I felt so awkward having no place to be there. Poor girl though, her heart is going to get broken and it hurts knowing that.

Meanwhile, I saw Chase looking at me with a sort of grimace and it made me wince. Why was he looking at me like that? I didn't do anything to him. "Chase, baby, this is my best friend Dunya, and Dunya, this is Chase," she said her eyes glistening with pride. How could she be so oblivious to the fact that Chase was looking at me like I'm some sort of virus.

"Yeah, I know," he said coldly, still staring at me like I was a disease. The tension was too much and I just had to get out of there. Cameron, the whole time was looking sort of nervous. This was just too weird and uncomfortable.

"Um, nice meeting you," I said referring to Chase, "but I have to go. I'll talk to you later Casey." I nodded, affirming Casey and I really needed to talk. 

As I was turning around to head to the school, Cameron called from behind me and caught up to me. "Um, hey." He said a little breathless, a lopsided grin on his face. Shocked by the fact that he dared to be seen with me on school property, I gave him an arched brow questioning his appearance 

"Hi?" I said in more of a question form.

"Look, I'm sorry about Chase, we were sort of having an argument before and he just came across a little rude to you. I guess when I told him about you..." he started but then stopped, scratching the back of his head. I looked up at him and noticed his toffee colored cheeks skin turn a faint shade of pink. If it was even possible, he looked cuter than ever, and I tried to shake the thought out of my head, but my heart still fluttered a little. Wait, what did he tell he tell Chase to make him so mad? And why was he even talking about me?