Chapter 25- Stage Four

"Fate is like a strange, unpopular restaurant filled with odd little waiters who bring you things you never asked for and don't always like." ~ Lemony Snicket

CHAPTER 25

The next few days were nothing short of depressing. Mama and Teta took me to go dress shopping for graduation, and although I enjoyed their company, it felt like something was missing. It was just the three of us, and I wasn't used to doing things in small numbers. Last time we went shopping for dresses, it was for Adam's wedding, and then there were a ton of people. It was then did I realize that I rely on the numbers. I feel secure and happy by having so many people around me, and with Casey gone, Adam and Sumaya in Ohio, Ibby not talking to me, and me avoiding Cameron, it all felt like too much negligence. But at the same time, I felt like there was nothing I could do about it.

We ended up deciding on a shimmering gold floor length dress, which fit me well and looked very pretty. At that point, I was willing to wear anything, as after a few try-ons, I just wanted to take anything off the rack and bring it home. But Teta insisted on getting a dress that was special, and breathtaking. She said something about graduating being a milestone in my life and the start of a new chapter in my life, so I supposedly had to make a statement. I was initially very wary of all the price tags, but luckily the gold dress matched both Teta and I's needs.

Currently, I was sitting in our living room, curled up in a ball with a huge comforter nestled around me. I was about to watch Fast and Furious 7, seeing as Adam had installed a program before he left that allowed us to watch movies while they were playing in the theatres but then voted against it. I mean, how could I possibly watch the final installment of the series alone? That would ruin the elation and not make the moment as memorable whatsoever. So, I sat down and browsed the program, only to find a Brazilian documentary called Trash, which was about three kids who make a discovery in a garbage dump soon find themselves running from the cops and trying to right a terrible wrong. It was one heck of a movie. Halfway through, I made my way to the kitchen where I got out a tub of yoghurt, and drizzled honey on it before eating spoonfuls of it. There was something so delectable about the sweet and sourness of it, and you can never go wrong when healthiness is an added feature. By the end of the movie, I don't know if it was just the lack of sleep I had the night before, or maybe the movie was just that emotional, but I started crying. My mom came back form getting the groceries and I just sat there mumbling about how brave Raphael was, and how I wanted to go live in South America, and how much I hated corruption. She looked at me with confusion, but then shook her head, laughing it off.

I rolled on my stomach and began contemplating on what I should do today. Teta was at the shoppe and I literally nothing to do. If I didn't get out of the house and do something productive, I swear I would go crazy.

Luckily, as if right on cue, I got a call from Teta. "Dunya?" she asked right away, without even a greeting or anything.

"Yeah, Teta, is everything okay?" I asked warily.

"Huh? Oh yeah, it's just that it's really busy now here, and I need you to come to the shoppe right now. We need more help at the cash register," Teta laughed and I sighed.

"Okay Teta, I'll be there in a few," I promised, before hanging up and getting up off the couch groggily as I made my way upstairs to take a shower and get ready.

By the time I was at Teta's Shoppe, it was already past noon. I walked through the doors, and immediately smelt the mouth-watering aroma of maple syrup and sugar. Oh, the perks of working at a candy store. The bell above the door rang as I stepped inside and the first thing I saw were not the freshly repainted bright orange walls that received a new intensity than before, but a faraway Cameron standing in the back stacking boxes of rock candy swizzle sticks on the shelves. I looked around the place and there were only about three or four customers. I then focused my gaze on Teta, who was swirling away at the cotton candy machine and she just shrugged, giving me an apologetic yet sneaky smile. So much for a busy store, I thought. Nonetheless, I went to the back to get my work apron, in order to get the day started.