Chapter 12- Kiwi Tarts?

CHAPTER 12

 UNEDITED

The week went by in a blur, mostly because Mama was so frantic about the upcoming city banquet, with planning, calling sponsors, ordering the food, getting the venues all set up etc. Basically, I've been my mom's wingman (or winggirl?) when it came to the banquet and you could say I was just as excited as my mom was, but for me it was because it was soon to be over. Over the course of the week, we over at Cameron's house a handful of times to help Isabella prepare and plan for the big event. And finally, once the day came, I was absolutely ecstatic.

"Mama! They're here!" I hollered to her upstairs as Cameron, Isabella and Maxy were already at our door.

"Darling, you look lovely," Isabella cooed at me and I gave her a little curtsy in my long lilac colored dress. I've always wanted to do that and now seemed like a perfect time.

She was clothed in a knee length black dress accessorizing it with pearl and a black clutch. Her auburn hair was curled to perfection and reached just above her shoulders. She looked elegant and cute at the same time. "So do you Isabella, I love what you did with your hair," I gushed.

I looked down to little Maxy and she was wearing a cute little pick dress and her straight brown hair was pulled into a ballet bun with a ton of sparkles and glitter. "Oooh Maxy, you look so pretty," I told her and she just replied with an open tooth smile.

Then I heard Cameron cough disturbingly loud and I looked at him noticing he was actually wearing a tuxedo. Oh my gosh. I can't. Breathe. If he looked good before, then he looks extraterrestrial now. Honestly, I don't know how it's physically possible to be able to look that good. Him in a tux is just mouthwatering. Wait, did I just think that? Ugh I really need to stop doing that. I only wish it was that simple.

"Um, yeah, hi," I said to him after his purposeful cough attack, trying not to display any signs of infatuation.

"So chaparrita, you complimented my mom and my sister, I'm sort of waiting for mine now," he stood there looking impatient, it was actually pretty funny.

"Yeah, um, I think not," I said wrinkling my nose in disgust and he faked a hurt look.

My mom came down the stairs almost tripping over her heels in a hurry. Luckily I was right there to steady her.

"Hey Yasmin, you look great! Everyone ready to leave?" Isabella asked.

"Wait, isn't Teta coming?" Cameron asked.

"No honey, her and Adam are out with Sumaya doing some future house shopping. The whole formal banquet really isn't their scene. Trust me, I tried," she sighed. "But they said they might some later on and meet us there."

We all were crammed into my mom's car after her insisting we go together to the banquet. I was seated at the far right of the back with Maxy sitting in the middle and Cameron on the far left looking out the window like they do in the movies. Mama and Isabella were in the front. Once we all arrived at the hall, we were pleased to see that most of the decorations were all up and that tables were arranged to fit the capacity of people coming. Every year it's a combination of city councilmen, the mayor, high profile people like police officers, fire fighters, doctors, rich businessmen who are capable of donating big sums, the committee members and their families and a few common folk.

An hour before the event started, a few other committee members came to do touch ups like place the chair covers on, fix table centerpieces, check the mic system etc. I was busy placing all the eating utensils in their proper places on the tables. I would have finished earlier but Cameron kept screwing up forgetting the format.