Chapter 22- Love Hurts

So keep your head high, keep your chin up, and most importantly, keep smiling because life's a beautiful thing and there's so much to smile about. ~ Marilyn Monroe

CHAPTER 22

 UNEDITED

I froze, unable to move. My feet were firmly planted on the floor and it felt as if all the weight of the world was pushed onto my shoulders. I couldn't speak. I couldn't utter a single word. I just stood there gaping at the immensely large man who was scaring me to no end. To make matters worse, not only did he have a scowl on his hard face that would make anyone shudder, but he also had a beer bottle in one hand. Not. A. Good. Combination. Not at all.

"Well? Are you going to stand there like you're deaf or are you going to answer my damn question?" He yelled once more and my eyes widened as my fear escalated. I had no idea what to do. Obviously the man was unstable and I was frightened, no doubt. The barrier of silence that I involuntarily put up would not go down.

I heard the kitchen door slide open and out came Isabella from the backyard in a panic. She laid her eyes on the large man, and I could feel her tense up instantly. She came quickly to my side and placed a hand on my shoulder. "Robert," she said surprisingly softly to the man of rage. "What are you doing here?" He flicked his gaze over to her instead of me and his frustration seemed to increase. I had absolutely no idea what was going on.

"I'm the one asking questions here! It's my damn house!" he yelled at the top of his lungs and that's when I heard shuffling upstairs. It must have been Cameron. "Are you a maid? Or a nanny?" he reverted his attention towards me. "Is that why you're here?" he asked growing impatient. I was about to say something- anything... I tried mustering up an answer that would overthrow him but also something that would not get him any more furious than he already was. And by the looks of it, anything I said would most likely heighten his temper.

"No, Robert, she's a friend of Cameron's," Isabella said calmly and I internally applauded her bravery and her poise. She displayed aplomb on the outside, but I could tell from her eyes that she was nothing short of frightened.

Unfortunately for us, 'Robert' seemed not to like that answer, and his fists clenched even harder, making his once red knuckles, white. He slowly began approaching us, each step of his shaking the floorboards. The man was massive. If it meant anything, the guy was as big, if not bigger than Dwayne Johnson. He was literally a walking mountain on legs. As he stepped closer, he bent down and met me at eye level. His ragged breath smelled very strongly of alcohol and I was getting a bit dizzy from just the scent. "Look here, you, this is my house. I own it. And this," he said pointing to Isabella beside me "is my wife. Her and her kids are mine, okay? I own every damn thing on this property so you better as hell beat it, kid, before I make you mi-" Mine too. He was going to say mine too.

"Don't you dare think about it," Cameron warned as he came down the stairs. As happy as I was to see him, I was afraid of what would come out of his protectiveness in combination with this large drunken man. "You better leave now dad, before I call the cops," he threatened as he came and stood between him and us.

Robert just laughed. "Oh, so now look you decided to grow up and grow a pair of balls," he barked. "And even if you did, what could they possibly do, huh? Are you forgetting this is my property?" he repeated and I got sick and tired quick of him and his stupid property.

"I will and they'll arrest you, and your stupid business and reputation will go down the drain. You'll live behind bars for the rest of your life, how does that sound, dad?" he said dryly.

"You'll throw me in jail?" he sneered, with a creepy smile on his face. "You wouldn't dare, you pathetic excuse of a son." Cameron's jaw clenched and my heart was beating like a hummingbird. I couldn't believe me ears. Sure I thought before that Cameron's father might have been somewhat of an issue in regards to Cameron, but what I now saw in front of me was something much more. Much, much more. "You think you're so tough, huh? Think that you could do anything you set your mind to? Well let me tell you something, son," he snapped venomously. "You're nothing but a low life, you hear?"