Chapter 10- Yes to the Dress

CHAPTER 10

UNEDITED

A week of teaching Cameron Arabic had proved to be not all that bad, considering the fact that he was a very fast learner. Plus, it was fun to see him somewhat struggle in a kids' class. It reminded me of how I taught Casey and it brought a smile on my face.

"So the letter that looks like a smiley face is ta ( the third letter in the Arabic alphabet)?" he asked really focusing on what I explained. It was definitely amusing.

"Yes, and do you remember how to write it in the three different formats? Beginning of a word, middle, and end like I taught you?" I tested.

He took the pencil in his hand scratching his head with the eraser bit, thinking real hard. "Oh yeah, I got this," he assured and proceeded to write out the letter in all the formats. He was still getting the hand of writing from right to left instead of left to write, but he was surely improving day by day. And in all honesty, his writing flowed much better than even mine. It was so neat it actually surprised me.

"You got it!" I told him once he was completed, and his smile widened.

"See that Madina? I told you I'd do it," he rubbed it in to the eight year old girl next to him. She slumped down refusing to comment. And there was that oh so extremely mature side of him.

Amina, who is Madina's little sister went up to Cameron and gave him a big hug. "I knew you could do it," she said admirably. "I'm tho proud of you," she praised, her cute lisp slipping out. A smug smile reached Cameron's lips as he smirked at me. I arched a brow and asked, "Cameron, why do all little girls love you?"

"It's not just little girls," he winked. "And no need to deny it, I'm just too irresistible," he shrugged as if being modest about it. Psh, yeah right. I mean, sure he is, but he doesn't have to be all arrogant about it. Oh my gosh I just thought that. This can't be happening. Ugh, well, he is right, there is no denying it.

"Dunya, why are you blushing so hard? You're cheeks are so pink," he pointed out proceeding to pinch them. Okay, I was not okay with that. What is he doing? I have a class to teach for goodness sakes and we're in the mosque. Did I not tell him not to touch me, because I'm very certain that I did?

"Can you please stop distracting me Cameron, I still have 12 other kids I have to test," I sighed and went to go help them out. Maybe this whole teaching him Arabic thing wasn't a good idea. What if these kids go tell their parents an exaggerated story of my despicable behavior. The last thing I want is for people to look down upon me. I'm supposed to be a role model for these kids. I think I made up for it by showering them with candy once they were tested. You should've seen their faces; they lit up with total and utter joy. Yup, that should do it.

I spent another hour reviewing all 28 letters in the alphabet with Cameron which he's been learning the past week. Once the class was over, I packed up my books and began heading out. As I was walking, Cameron fell in step with me.

"Hey Dunya?" he soon asked looking at me intently.

"Yes," I dragged out waiting for what he was going to ask, interested to say the least.

"So, um, I wanted to thank you," he paused.

"For what?"

"For everything. I mean, obviously for helping me with the Arabic. It intrigued me at first, and I don't even know why I want to learn it, but I guess I'll figure that out later. You know, I enjoy spending time with you," he glanced at me expectantly. When I didn't reply, he continued. "And for taking me with you to the mosque. I really learned a lot, and everyone seemed so welcoming. I just, I don't know. For everything. Ever since I've met you, I've been looking at things differently. It may sound weird I know," he said rubbing the nape of his neck. "But, I never really took anything seriously, and now," he began to say. "And now..."