Chapter 21

At precisely five o clock everyone, except Nick, was sitting at the dinning room table. Perry had made steak, freash mashed potatoes, a bowl of fresh picked fruit, fresh bread, and some ears of corn with some butter on the side.

Everyone's, but Perry's, mouth was watering over the delicious looking food. They all nearly  lunged to devour it all like savages. But they all kept their manners and sat down in the chairs. They piled their plates with all the foods and started eating.

After all their stomachs were filled, Jamie and Robert helped clean up the table. They kept taking glances at each other. Whenever they'd catch the other's eyes, they'd give a shy smile. Robert craved to have Jamie in his arms again. He had kept his mind on other things besides his longing for her. He didn't want her reading those thoughts.

"Dang." Robert turned towards Jamie. A stack of dishes were in her hands. "They don't have a dishwasher."

Robert walked over and took half the dishes out of her hands. "Then we'll hand wash them." He said.

They piled the dishes on the counter. Jamie was washing the dishes and Robert was drying and putting them away. They filled the room with small talk.

"I never knew steak could be that good." Jamie said.

"Perry's always been an amazing cook. She won me over with a rabbit stew." Robert joked.

Jamie giggled at the joke. "How long have you known Nick and Perry?"

"Since about sixteen eight. I met Nick while on a hunting trip when I was eight." Robert said.

"Were you alone?" Jamie asked.

"Yeah." Robert said. "I needed to learn to hunt so I grabbed my brother's rifle and left."

"Why didn't anyone come with you?" Jamie asked in surprise. She was shocked that they'd let an eight year old with no experience hunt alone.

Robert avoided her eyes. "Let's just say I didn't have an...ideal family." The word 'family' felt like acid on his tongue.

Tense silence filled the room. Jamie grinned as a thought crept into her thoughts. She handed the plate she had just finished washing to Robert to dry. She grabbed the sink sprayer. Once Robert placed the plate in the cabinet he turned around. As soon as he was facing Jamie she sprayed him with water.

Robert looked down at his drenched shirt. "What was that for?" He asked in exasperation.

"I thought you needed to cool down." Jamie laughed. She was to busy laughing to hear Robert's next thought.

He stepped closer. "How about a hug Jamie?" He asked with a grin.

Before she could answer Robert pulled her into his wet embrace, lifting her up slightly. He started spinning her around as he pulled her closer so she'd get wet as well. Jamie wrapped her arms around his neck to ensure her safety, even though she trusted that Robert wouldn't drop her. They both laughed the whole time.

"You're getting me all wet." Jamie managed to say through giggles.

Robert stopped spinning. "My jacket's protecting you from being drenched like me."

"I forgot I was wearing your jacket." Jamie said. The laughter had died.

"That's alright. It looks nice on you kitten." He thought aloud.

Robert has had that jacket since he was eight, besides an old riffle it was his only gift that year. It had been pasted down from his grandfather, to his father, and through his six older brothers down to him. It was the only thing from his family that was good. Everything else was a curse.