68. Memorable Dipavali & Akhanda Bhajan - Nov 1993

Memorable Dipavali and Akhanda Bhajan

November 13 - 16, 1993

Prasanthi Nilayam

Dear Parents,

Divya conveys her namaskars. On the 12th, Dipavali (Festival of Lights) was celebrated. In the evening was Darshan and bhajan as usual. Then, there was fireworks.

Every year they put up poles in the middle of the compound, string them with wires then put firecrackers on them. We sit for Darshan as usual, then everyone has to move under the arches so they can do fireworks. It takes awhile to get the crowds to leave! So this year, for Darshan they sat people under the arches only, no one sitting on the grounds.

Swami came about 4:30 PM and looked dissatisfied as He walked by. I heard Him mumble, “What! Only sitting under the arches!” He walked through the empty compound, then gave usual Darshan to the gents. The gents sat on the grounds, because the fireworks are only set up on the ladies side.

Usually, after bhajan, at 6 PM, immediately they start the fireworks. But what happened? The crackers hadn’t arrived yet! Only three boxes of sparklers and fire fountain-cones. This did no satisfy Swami! Now we were delighted seeing Him playing the part of a stubborn boy. He wandered around like a restless cat, waving His hands and complaining now and then. The poor group of 6 or 8 students (boys) who were in charge of the arrangements, sat apart and looked on, in fear! Several times they showed Swami the things that were available, but He refused to allow the program to start. Gents rushed about on the verandah trying to arrange the proper crackers. For over an hour all was delayed, and all of us sat in the dusk then darkness, watching the disturbance on the lit verandah.

Swami walked around twice again, far off, but staring at us a lot. Perhaps to calm the people who were restless! Already all had been sitting for hours.

Finally, the awaited crackers arrived! A jeep came and students lugged in big boxes. Then Swami gave the signal to begin! His favorite things just make loud noise – BANG - BANG – BANG!” – no lights, or decorations. In discourses He mentions how the loud sounds are symbolic of evil qualities being destroyed. After a few rounds, He allowed them to set off the cones – fountains of light and color – a few whistle-lights, and a few multicolored lights that gave off only a few sickly sparks a short distance into the air, then faded away.

At one point, it looked like a spark had hit Swami – He clutched His cheek and turned around with bent head. Then, about 50 students immediately surrounded Him, very concerned! Seeing the commotion, two policemen (who guard the main gate) and a security guard rushed to the verandah, guns drawn and ready! But Swami convinced them it was nothing, and soon the crowd of students dispersed – then we could see Swami laughing and shaking His head.

The compound became full of burnt-up crackers, as students madly rushed back and forth stringing up more crackers and lighting them with sparkles. Finally, they swept a path clear for Swami and He walked back, smiling, to the Poornachandra. We had been sitting since 3 PM and it ended at 8 PM – very, very late for a program to end in Prasanthi Nilayam!

16 November: Now Birthday crowd is coming! So many people and so much rush. Akhanda bhajan in the Presence of God was truly Divine! I sat the whole time, coming at 2:30 PM Saturday and sitting till 7:30 PM Sunday. I didn’t leave, except Sunday 2 AM – 2:30 AM and 11:30-12 noon, to take bath and drink water. I sang the whole time, and stayed wide awake. We were rewarded with a lot of Darshan! He came by several times, staring deeply at all of us. Also, He spent hours on the verandah looking at and talking with the students.

Because He lives in the Poornachandra now, we didn’t get upper-balcony Darshan at odd times, like we did in previous years. On Saturday, He came 4:30-7:30 PM and on Sunday He came 7-10 AM and 3:30–7 PM.

At about 5 PM Sunday, He gave word to bring the prasad. It took almost 45 minutes as some (hand-picked by Swami) college boys lugged in big & small stainless steel containers full of food.

Swami took arathi a little after 6 PM. Every day after arathi, a college boy waves a coconut in front of Swami. This day, Swami took the coconut away from the boy after he waved it! He kept it in His hand and walked to the edge of the verandah, in-between all the containers of prasad, and right in front of us. Then He raised the coconut high in the air, and smashed it on the ground in front of Him! A wonderful sight! I always consider it a very special & rare Grace to see Swami break a coconut, as He hardly every does it.

Then, the volunteers sat us in rows and the distribution of prasad took place. They gave spicy-rice and sweet rice, plenty for all. Swami overlooked the whole thing, directing bucketfuls to be taken outside to serve those who were there, and making sure everyone received the prasad. To our area, He motioned, “Did you eat?” We started to eat there, but the volunteers asked us to clear out. We were all sent out, while Swami was still busy wandering about, making sure all the college boys ate.

Finally, Swami walked back to the Poornachandra - it was nearly 7 PM. He asked the lady volunteers, “Did you eat? Have prasad!”

The next morning in Darshan, He threw candies and I caught one in my hand! First time in over a year, I think! It was good, because I felt strain from the long event, because I didn’t drink much water (only one cup in 30 hours, so I wouldn’t have to keep rushing to the bathroom!), I had also felt a bit dizzy and dehydrated. Plus I had sat in the direct burning sun all day Sunday, in order to get a good place for Darshan. My face and arms were nicely burnt from sitting all morning in the sun. I immediately ate the candy He threw, and I felt refreshed and strong again.

Hope you enjoy Birthday Blessings in abundance, there also (but without the crowds!).

Loka Samastha Sukhino Bhavantu.

Love,

Divya