53. New Year, Sports Meet & Visa Work in Delhi - Jan 1993

New Year’s Day 1993

January 2, 1993

Prasanthi Nilayam

Dear Parents,

Divya conveys her namaskars.

HAPPY 1993! Although, the predictions here are that it will be a really miserable year, full of disasters and sickness. Venkamma was reading me the Telugu calendar the other day. Also Vidya said the astrology magazine says the same thing. With the year starting on ashtami (the worst tithi there is), even Swami says it isn’t good! Well, good luck to all of us.

On New Year’s Day there was music on the verandah by boys. Sweets and little 1993 dairies were given to all school children, teachers and former students – but not to the general public. Swami gave nice Darshan, walking around slowly, staring softly and compassionately, and looking like He was pulling the whole world inside Himself. All merging into one it seemed – He was so much a part of all of us!

In the evening was discourse in the Mandir. Of course none of us (the public) got in, but I found a good place (by the Tulasi plant behind the wall) where I could hear every word.

Venkamma is fine – worried about who will replace me while I'm in Delhi doing visa. Short time help is easier than finding someone permanent (almost impossible here) – so I think she’ll be able to find someone.

Here it is freezing cold. Swami keeps sending word to have Darshan lines later in the morning, but the crowds are so huge and uncontrollable that they just cause stampedes if they have to wait too long – so, lines are started at 5 AM and numbers are given at 6:30 AM! Brrr.

Loka Samastha Sukhino Bhavantu!

Love,

Divya

_____________________

Preparation for Delhi / Visa Trip & Sport’s Meet

January 12, 1993

Prasanthi Nilayam

Dear Parents,

Jan 12th: Thank you so much for the money! It has come just in time, as I'm leaving for Delhi in only a few days.

At the moment there’s a lot of work to do. Today is the 12th and I have neither recommendation papers which friend in Anantapur promised, nor even train ticket! 13th & 14th are holidays, and 15th is Ashtami (8th day after waxing/waning moon), no business allowed! So I'm writing this before Darshan and am planning to make phone calls to Anantapur afterwards. Also the nice Delhi lady who invited me to stay in her house is leaving by 10 AM and wants to know when I’ll be arriving. How to get ticket and tell Delhi person before 10 AM? How to get Anantapur papers today itself? Also I am trying to teach Venkamma which medicines to take at which times during the day – over 10 pills a day! Plus she will have to find someone to help her while I'm gone.

Yesterday, Monday the 11th was Sports Day. It is an ordeal every year, but Swami loves it and always wants people to come. This year just the march-past and events of Brindavan students went from 7 AM till 11:30 AM! I lasted 6 AM to 10:30 AM then left! The sun was unbearably hot, dust was thick and thousands of bodies were pressed together everywhere. Poor Venkammawas trapped due to being in the front, and having a van ride (only when it goes, can she go!).

Anyway, in the moments I stood to see what was going on, it was interesting to watch (but not nearly as interesting as sitting in a cool room reading spiritual books, or going to bhajans!).

Swami arrived in white robe riding the chariot (this shows how much importance He places on the event).

In the evening were Primary students program, Anantapur girls & Prasanthi boys. That went 4 to 8:30 PM. We went to that also, although I only went 4-6 PM. Swami of course was there watching the whole time, sitting on the stage and wearing orange this time.