4. Big Ramayanam - Feb 1989

Big Ramayanam

February 1989

Prasanthi Nilayam

Sai Ram All,

All is well today. Sai loves throwing all sorts of troubles – even though most of the time all seems outwardly fine. See, how since August I’ve always inside Prasanthi Nilayam, or Brindavan ashrams. As if all is fine – which it is – ha ha.

One of the things Venkamma is fond of saying, when I speak big words which young people aren’t supposed to say (they don’t like kids saying too much information, as if children really know something - impossible!) is, “Yours is a big Ramayana story.” Now I see the symbolism. The office staff are the rakshakas, the demons – the one who is the worst is Ravana himself. He not only refuses permission to the new and old people alike, but if Swami Himself would come to the Public relations office, I'm sure this office man would throw Sai out also. Nice Mr. Naidu is Vibhishana, Ravana’s brother who surrendered to Rama. The new office man sitting in Mr. Immortal’s place, is Hanuman. Venkamma is Rama’s mother Kausalya. My Malaysian friend Rohani (who was ordered out by Sai for running after Him, but who is now allowed inside Prasanthi Nilayam again by Sai’s orders), is Sita (so she likes to think) – Sita was also exiled by Ram. This Rohani is constantly crying for Sai and yearning for Darshan. Lakshmana is Sai’s driver, Radhakrishna. The kind monk Karunyananda, whom Swami keeps near to him, who also knows me and calls me, “Sai Devi” and “Sai Lakshmi,” is Vasishta, the family guru of Rama. Kasturi was Rama’s father Dasaratha, we’ve decided. Many things that are happening here, can be compared to incidents in the Ramayana. Every day is a drama, with countless dramas inside dramas. Each one has a story. Here we have sanyasis, egotistic sages, demons and devis. One has to laugh, in-between moaning about one’s own drama.

Anyway – maybe you’ll keep these letters and someday compile into a weekly comedy/drama TV series. And I thought I never would get involved in watching TV series!

I could mention the ancient lady who sleeps under the staircase – who came crawling to Darshan recently. She’s really not well lately, she laid down right in front row and only somehow or the other got up (with help) when Swami came. Mataji wasn’t here so she wasn’t dragged out before Sai came! She itched herself – then we watched in shock and horror as she pulled out a huge, dull, 100% rusty knife, and proceeded to itch her back with it! She was half undressed and had big bumps all over her back. When Sai came, he didn’t look or come close to her. She moaned and cried, “Swaaaaaaami, Swaaaaaaaaaaammmmmiiii! He slowly looked and searched the crowd in confusion, until His eyes rested on her – he slowly motioned, “Wait, wait,” and went on. See, it’s the first time in years probably that she came inside close to Swami, for Darshan. That really taught me a lesson - that even she must wait. (She’s the one who goes around with a stick calling everyone, ‘Bangaroo,’ and blessing them in Telugu.)

One recent morning Darshan, a group of monkeys came right in the middle of the darshan grounds, as Sai appeared for Darshan. The office man whom we call Hanuman, was at the gate but didn’t chase them away - he just let them go in the middle of the compound! A confirmation that he really is Hanuman! All the monkeys came to the verandah. The chief monkey sat a moment, turned and saw Sai, then led the others away, just as Sai sent two boys to chase them away via the ladies side! All laughed – Sai didn’t come close to any ladies at all that Darshan, maybe all were too distracted!

Then there’s the puppy who joyfully joins in the ladies line-up, goes around Mandir for pradakshina in the morning, goes with nagar-sankirtin, and sits by the Mandir for bhajans (if he can't manage to get on the veranda). Very devoted dog. I remember his birth a few months ago – he came by the ladies shed in his early days, and used to joyfully play and jump on any lady coming or going. Now the volunteers are having a terrible time controlling him, too bad he’ll learn in time, I suppose, that inside is not the place for dogs. Poor thing!