47. President of India and Visit to Convent - July & Aug 1992

President of India Visit

July 25, 1992

Prasanthi Nilayam

Dear Parents,

Divya conveys her namaskar. Our friends the Reddys are here. They had two interviews with Swami already. No one but them – so it must’ve been nice with so few people and Sai! The wives also are VIPs so they had special reserved place in Darshan every day. This never happened when Mataji was around, but nowadays the new administration allows a lot of VIP reservation.

Before Swami left for summer vacation it was really out of hand, so He gave word that absolutely no one should get special first rows – all must join the lines. So for one month they adjusted by seating their favorites in second row. Now that Swami has returned they have forgotten about His order (or consider it void due to passage of time) and it is again very out of hand. Swami is keeping quiet. What can he do if people don’t listen to Him??

Now the new President of India, Dayal Sharma, is coming so the whole ashram is full of policemen with heavy boots and big guns, and many jeeps and cars with red lights flashing on top. Poor Vidya – her Round Building #3 houses many security people. She complains about policemen smoking, undressing, shouting, swearing and waving their guns around in a most leisurely manner! When I see Vidya she gives a count of how many guns she’s seen on the way to Darshan!

Some days back I had first row and when Swami came He looked so tiny, thin and frail, I thought a strong gust of wind might blow Him over! Then day before yesterday I again had front line and He talked to someone with such big, booming voice of authority, when He leaned over near me to take a letter from someone, He seemed to expand. His head and shoulders looked huge - I thought it was a huge hulk that would smush me to smithereens! It was a frightening experience! See how He can change so drastically! The forms of God are One yet many.

The new canteen has electricity and windows already, and most of it is painted (light blue, pink, and cream – Swami’s usual colors). Still they have to put in the tables & seats and equip the kitchen.

Even at 3 AM in the morning sadhana is difficult – there are always groups of workers walking past talking loudly, and Seva Dals tapping their sticks (this is the Indian way to frighten robbers – although I would think it would just warn thieves to hide from the approaching guards!).

The Mandir is always ¾ full of staff for bhajans. The other day Swami shouted, “What are all the doctors sitting in the Mandir for, leaving the patients? Who gave them permission for this?” But of course, nothing has changed. Poor Swami! Who will listen to Him? Amma (Venkamma) is always telling me that now is the time for evil people to thrive, all will turn out well for them; whereas good people won't get much and will be met with a lot of difficulties. It seems true, even here with God!

There was a foreigner boy who joined the college. Swami told everyone including all the students, that he was a reincarnation of the famous Shama who was close to Shirdi Sai Baba. Swami gave him lavish attention and he always sat first on the verandah for Darshan. After one year, Swami sent word that he had to go out! Who can know the reasons of Divine actions? Now the boy “Shama” is banned from the school and banned from the verandah. Swami completely ignores him. He wonders around with tragic depressed expression, his only companion a bicycle. He won't go but is hoping someday Swami will show compassion and take him back again.

28 July: Well, in honor of the President Swami cancelled evening Darshan and had a function in the Poornachandra. On Swami’s right-hand side was sitting the Prez, 75 years old, and his wife. He walked like a duck poor thing, and talked very slow. I wonder why they like old people in the top offices? The older they are, the duller the sense and the more difficult to dictate, I would think. On Swami’s left-hand side was Chief Minister of Andhra Pradesh and Governor of AP. The Prez gave a long, long talked beginning with, “Who am I to address you when God is here? I didn’t know I’d speak, I just came for blessings; but since Swami ordered me to, I am standing here obeying orders.”

Every few minutes big, huge cameras, wire-men and men bearing flood-lights would come and video us, the audience, and Swami. Yes this definitely is a “mini-world”.

This morning I was sitting on an aisle that Swami usually doesn’t come down. He came and the people on all sides of me became excited and lounged out at Him, about four feet out. He stood and patiently took letters, blessed photos and threw candies. He glanced at me – the only one sitting quietly gazing at Him!

Well all for now. Loka Samastha Sukhino Bhavantu.

Love,

Divya

_________________________

Convent Visit

August 12, 1992

Prasanthi Nilayam

Dear Parents,

 Amma and Swami have so much in common! Amma is also very unpredictable: one never knows what she’ll do next or what she’ll say. It can be difficult dealing with her! The other week we planned to go to the convent to see her great-granddaughter Vijai Sri. So Vidya ordered a car and I told Amma to wait until the car came to the door. But when we drove up with the car – no Amma! Locked door! So we searched everywhere then finally we took the car ourselves to the convent. There was Amma, playing in the office with Vijai Sri! She said, “Oh, I forgot I had to wait. So I took an auto rickshaw here.” Within two minutes she had hopped up and disappeared outside. We were afraid she’d go back on her own! But after a long time she returned to announced she had just toured the whole convent, kitchen, storeroom and all (much to the delight of teachers & staff!). She really takes control of situations, just like Swami!

The other day I was front row and again. Swami started to take letters in front of me. Then He looked down at me and perhaps considering me “safe” (ha, ha), He stepped in very close, almost standing on my sari! It was a nice act of acceptance and it made me happy. Sometimes it can be sad to have Him not look at all, or worse, look then run off, far and fast!

Be happy – free from maya.

Loka Samastha Sukhino Bhavantu.

Love,

Divya