Chapter 17

Taehyung's POV

"Well, isn't this a pleasant surprise?"

Y/N's voice echoed around the room. She was calm, collected, and relaxed- but Taehyung could feel the anger, maliciousness, and sarcasm hidden underneath.

Taehyung felt his mouth about to drop- his hand gripped the armrest, his body was tense, his eyes were wide. A chill ran down his spine- a nervous sweat broke out. Never in a million years would he ever be ready to face Y/N. Occasionally he played scenarios of meeting Y/N again in his head, he wondered what had happened it he never sent Y/N away- but in the end, these thoughts weren't reality. So of course they wouldn't help if reality actually hit, which happened to be this very exact case right now. 

Taehyung saw Y/N stand and cross her arms. She gave everyone a smile, but it didn't reach her eyes, they were stormy, dark, and unreadable- a look that didn't suit her, but then again, who was he to judge? After what he had done to her, Taehyung knew he didn't even have the privilege to even look at her, and yet he couldn't pull his eyes away from Y/N. Y/N felt his gaze and turned her head towards him, meeting his stare. Y/N met Taehyung's eyes for a split second before focusing on something behind him- no longer looking at him anymore. Taehyung gripped the armrest harder.

"Y/N, how nice to see you here," Namjoon said, trying his best to remain calm- not stuttering. Taehyung felt Namjoon's hand on top of his and looked down. The wooden armrest had begun to crack, small splinters had dug into his hand, bloodying it- yet he couldn't feel the pain.

Instead, the pain he felt was the ache in his heart, it made his body numb. Taehyung had been told about his situation and the solution that was needed to solve it. The guilt of sending Y/N away without any context never went away- he was only able to temporarily to suppress such regret by trying to forget about it. Now seeing Y/N two years later- in person, such efforts were rendered useless- the lock on his heart had been shattered. An unknown mixture of emotions swirled around him. Guilt, pain, fear- even happiness. But all in all, Taehyung didn't know how felt- or how he should feel in general.

"Nothing much, just doing my job," Y/N answered, shrugging and uncrossing her arms while taking a few strides. Taehyung saw how she made her way over closer to him and he began to hold his breath- but Y/N simply walked past him and over to the counter to his left. He exhaled quietly.

"You're working here now?" Namjoon asked. Taehyung noticed how even Namjoon, the calmest one out of them, struggling to keep his composure. It's not everyday one's ideas and plans blow up in front of their face- especially two years later when it had seemed to go so well. 

"I guess, it really depends on others' decision on where I work. For all I know, I could end up in Japan, England, and maybe back in the U.S. again," Y/N said as she reached over to pick up a black bag that was by the charging outlet. She checked for the owner's tag and nodded her head in confirmation. Hooking the bag on her arm, she began making her way over again.

"Anyways, I must end this joyous reunion soon," Y/N turned around- stopping and giving a small bow as a sign of parting. "By the way, I like your hair," Y/N smiled, her gaze going right past Taehyung, she was still refusing to look at him. Taehyung bit his lips. Despite her eyes not meeting his, Taehyung knew that her look was cold, icy, and emotionless- a look that made him shiver. After a few moments, she turned around, exiting through the door and letting it fall shut.

The slamming sound echoed around the silent room. No one spoke.

...

"What the fuck just happened?" Suga asked, the first one to overcome the shock. Everyone else remained silent.