Chapter 88

Chapter 88

My threat to Jackson made enough of an impression. Despite doctor's orders, they couldn't force me to stay. The next day, with Jackson's help, I discharged myself from the hospital. That's right, folks. I was out of that hell!

It was the first time I felt like I actually had a say in anything. Feeling the fresh air against my face... pure sweet relief. Let's not get carried away though. Since leaving the hospital, there was plenty to deal with. Plenty I would learn and have to face after leaving the hospital. Though that included some obvious trauma, I tried focusing on the surface things we needed to contend with.

Like regrouping and moving back across the country.

After I left the hospital, Luke wanted us to get on a plane and fly back to Ohio. He wanted to hire others to collect our things in Washington (and move my stuff from my home in Connecticut). My stubborn ass could not handle that though. I discovered I had an unhealthy need to physically be moving so driving sounded better to me. I hated being a burden and making things harder, especially when Luke was going through some mental grief himself, but he understood. He agreed for us to drive home across the country and pack up our things ourselves.

I think he needed the long quiet drive too though. He and his family learned a sick thing about his grandpa. They were all shocked and Mike especially was devastated. He wanted to give up the business, wanted to throw away all his money. The fact that they built their lives off of this money was the hardest thing for them to stomach. Still, they were all very grateful that Hailey was alive.

Though it's been only a few days since I've left the hospital, a lot has happened. Including Hailey being admitted to an intense therapeutic retreat. Which was a fancy way of saying a mental home. Unlike the kind I was familiar with, it sounded lovely for her. It was a place centered around brainwashed individuals. And yes, funny (and not so funny) enough, Mike paid top dollar for her to go. It only made them feel that much more guilty.

She was in no mental shape to see her family or anyone. Her doctors said in a few weeks though she could probably meet the family. Whether seeing her family results in a good reaction or bad reaction, it would still be progress. According to Luke, everyone was excited to go. He very clearly stated though he would not be going. Didn't say anymore about it, just that he couldn't.

So yeah, overall... both Luke and I were a little fucked up at the moment. Each with our own shit to deal with. Unfortunately, I might have him beat. He didn't need to board up all the windows and doors in order to get even a little bit of sleep.

We were both fairly quiet on our journey back. We did go to our Washington home first and collect our things. Though it was taped off since the house was basically destroyed, the police allowed us in. My paranoia was through the roof the whole time we packed up our things, but I did find comfort in talking to our neighbors. It felt like it's been forever since we last saw the sweet family. However, this time we visited them as Albany and Luke. After the ambush that shook up the whole neighborhood, the FBI informed them that we had been in disguise under fake names since we moved in next door.

So when we knocked on their door, we received nothing but understanding and tears of relief from Grace. She explained how even after she learned the truth about us, she was scared and was just happy to know we were okay now. However, her kickass little daughter was too innocent to know all that. When I said goodbye to little Chrissy, it was as her babysitter, Peggy. I would miss her. And her occasional assholeness that was just plain charming to me.

Leaving that house, leaving Washington, was relieving but also sad. Though our time here scarred us from some very horrific incidences, this was also a beautiful place. Luke and I built our relationship back up here. He proposed to me here. Though paranoid, someday when I know I'll be safe, I wouldn't mind coming back here.