Chapter 60

Chapter 60

Francis was on the top of the world right now. His famous smirk worked well with the humor and smugness in his eyes. I would have been smug too if I shocked someone as much as he did to us.

"What's up, guys?" he asked, rocking on the heels of his shoes with a high head.

The casualness in his voice and carefreeness... it was Francis. It was how I remembered him from years ago and when we briefly saw each other when we drifted through Ohio. It made this moment more surreal. This was him and he was here.

"What are you doing here?" Luke asked in an incredulous voice. My eyes still stuck on taking in his brother, I couldn't see Luke's facial reaction yet. It had to be close to my slack jaw and wide eyes.

Francis held out his arms dramatically. "What do you think I'm doing here? I'm here to save the fucking day!" Arms dropping, he casually walked over to Luke, smirk turning into a genuine smile. He gave him a brotherly hug, patting his back.

Yes, as it turned out, Luke was as stunned as me. Brows scrunched with lost eyes, he was in a frozen state. It took a moment for Luke to pat his back in return with an unsure hand.

When Francis stepped back and faced me, my mind was still blown. Looking not much different either from the last time I saw him. Hazel eyes behind square frames, brown wavy hair pushed back behind his ears. Wearing jeans and a loose red shirt with a faded cartoon on it. And he just... came waltzing through the door! I mean you guys see him after all this time and try to say, 'What's up dude, let's get drunk tonight.' It was crazy! He was here, now nearing me with extended arms.

When he gave me a hug, wrapped his arms around me, I instinctively hugged him back. He felt real with welcoming arms and his scent that took me back in time. Yet, I could feel my face was still contorted in a dumbass fashion. "If this is another damn nightmare, I am done," I mumbled after he took a step back.

"You've been dreaming about me, huh?" he teased, bringing a lightness to the air.

"You wish," I scoffed.

Why was he here? What was all this— Fucking Jackson! Duh. My eyes naturally set our unexpected visitor shot to Jackson. He stood by the door, leaning against the wall and appearing bored. The man's strong and powerful eyes caught mine and it almost zapped me. I hated, hated, looking at him, but I couldn't look away. For whatever reason, Jackson dragged Francis into this.

Jackson was scum, but I did not expect him to stoop to this level. Whatever reason Francis was here, it wasn't good enough to jeopardize his future. The balls Jackson had to walk in here – that alone pulled my nerves! Realizing he interfered in Francis's safe life... well, there is always the gun under the couch.

Before I could resort to the gun (hopefully fucking loaded like it should be), I kept my cool for now. Fists balling at my side, I took a deep breath and marched up to the stone-faced prick. His face revealed nothing. Maybe I needed to punch him again.

"Why?" I demanded. He had zero right to bring him into this! Out of everyone, not Francis, the guy who has done more than enough for my sake. Who has been shot, risked his life, been there for me and his brother when he had a daughter at home.

Jackson didn't appear to care. His blank stare didn't change.

Digging my nails into my palms, I spoke with venom. "Why is he here?"

He finally answered. "We have just over a month to find this place. The more people searching, the better."

"That gives you permission to recruit him?" Luke jumped in with a raised voice.