Chapter 14

Chapter 14

For the first time in what I assumed was forever, I was actually on Jackson's side for wanting Luke to stay out of this.  I didn't like the idea of him going through shit, blood, and war all over again.  The overall shock was out of me, ladies and gents.  I couldn't let it stay when the amount of emotion including anger swelled up within me and had to get out.

All I wanted to do was call Jan or Mike, have them talk their son into coming home, and staying safe.  Because this is the opposite of what I wanted.  I appreciate Jackson willing to protect me but I didn't think this whole 'running' thing would escalate to this.  I pictured Jackson and I somehow settling someplace else and hiding out however we can.  I didn't want to run, I didn't want the danger....  And if it had to be that way, then those crazy dudes might as well kill me or take me before either Luke or Jackson are shot first. 

Initially, I wasn't too concerned about Luke actually coming.  Because somehow, someway, Jackson could hopefully get him to back down I thought.  That was my only small hope and it disappeared when Luke made his point to Jackson: that he can really help in protecting me.  I think that was the only thing that allowed Jackson to stop fighting him.  Because he knew that Luke, a skilled cop that has protected me before, could handle it.  Could help him in protecting me if the worst happened.  So the only thing left for Jackson to bitch about was his car and that he has to get rid of his phone. 

I had my own problem.  And we can begin on the fact that I do not want people protecting me to begin with! Luke's arrival – or crash – back into my life made me realize that that is what is happening.  I didn't want any part in that.  I went through enough guilt for how much I already hurt Luke and damaged his life three years ago.  Some serious loathing would occur if I were to contribute any more pain three years later. 

That's why I wanted to have a little chat with Luke alone after we finished eating.  Jackson – grudgingly using Luke's phone that couldn't be tracked – was locating a close car dealership.  He wasn't reporting what happened with his car because we didn't want records stating that we were in this town.  Best option was to just leave it.  After all, according to him, he wasn't going to deal with the three of us crammed into Luke's truck.  So he was currently looking for a car.  Apparently, according to Jackson, the FBI would actually get off their asses help on this and pay for it because though they weren't helping, they would pay for whatever.  To be honest, I really didn't give a shit about anything that had to do with the FBI, what Jackson said about them.... Just fuck them, you know?

So while Jackson was standing outside in the parking lot talking on the phone, I managed to tow Luke around the side of the building.  I was happy it was secluded enough.  There was nothing besides the pavement that ended a few feet before a fence and trees running parellel to the building.  It was a narrow little rural alley - and a relief because I didn't need to be out in the open and talking about this.  Because with how much emotion was running through me, I didn't know what would happen. 

By the time he followed me back and around the place, I could feel the silence between us getting to me.  I was happy when I stopped and turned around to face him, taking in a deep sigh. I was so upset, so... overwhelmed with all this.  He didn't look shook up like I was.  He didn't appear upset at all; Luke stood before me, staring at me with a very still posture.  His eyes were blank, his hands moving behind his back as he sighed himself. Slowly, I saw his lips begin to purse and brows lower slightly.  After all, there was enough to talk about, he probably didn't know where I would start.  Hell, did I?

Looking him over in his uniform, his entire self, I could only start to shake my head.  His uniform... he came after me literally straight from work.  Now, he was fully determined to continue with me for who knows how long.  I didn't like it.  It was sloppy, not a decision he thought over.  Not to mention I didn't want him to come people!  Yet he was so willing.  It upset me even more.