Chapter 21

Chapter 21

Jan and Mike gave us the best farewell they could for now: with food. After these years, they still knew the best way to my heart was with the orgasmic scent of bacon. The smell hit a sore spot in my heart. However, something went deeper and was more overwhelming as we ate breakfast.

Sadness clouded the early morning. I would miss this wonderful family so much and it hurt knowing we would have to say goodbye soon. It made me pray to whoever was listening that we would return safely to them. It did not help my mental state when something I feared was said.

"I'm coming," Francis said in the stiff silence that surrounded the table.

"First of all, that's what she said. Second, I fucking knew you were going to try," I muttered instantly with my mouth full. Closing my eyes, I shook my head from where I was sitting beside Jan. She along with nearly everyone else groaned at the same time I spoke.

When my eyes opened and met his tired hazel ones across the table, I could see the amusement in them at everyone's response. Before we could beat some sense into his ass, Francis tried to reassure us. "I just want to go to the station with you and help out, that's all."

Jackson sighed and rolled his eyes. He seemed to be the only one wide awake; he did get the most sleep. Dressed in tan cargo shorts and a dark red shirt for a change, his brown hair was combed back looking damp like usual. It made his annoyed facial expression more noticeable. "I'm done with you people. There's a new person each day joining the bandwagon for Christ's sake. How I couldn't have realized this joyous adventure could get any better!" He speared the ketchup eggs and bacon with his fork a little harder than needed. Eating his food, his eyes narrowed when he turned to Francis. "You sound just as dumb as your brother."

"Relax," Francis said, looking between our distressed faces. "I said I wanted to go with you to the station. After that, I'll go home, no big deal."

We didn't argue with him. We were still well hidden and that probably wouldn't change from a drive here to the police station. That didn't mean it made me less uneasy but I sympathized with his words. He explained to us that he wanted to know what our plan will be when we figure it out, which was understandable. It wouldn't be until later that I learned that wasn't his real reason for coming along....

Following breakfast, we said goodbye to Mike and Jan. They showered us, mainly Luke and I, with concerned words and high hopes. It was tough. They treated me as if I was their child and it made my heart ache, especially when they gave me warm hugs. When Luke opened the door to finally leave, I couldn't have left faster. Anymore time around their love, I would have started to get more emotional. It helped that my head was already racing with what we were about to do.

I stared up at Luke as we walked towards the truck, Francis and Jackson following behind us. "How are we going to give Carter this test? The other officers will rip you a new asshole if they see the cop who skipped out of work."

"If they don't, I will rip you a new asshole," Jackson scowled. He was not at all in favor of this.

Luke sighed as he reached the open back car door where Carter was bound. He undid the bungee cords that held him and tossed aside the leftovers of breakfast we gave him. "When I left to find you by tracking your phone, I knew I would be gone for a while regardless. I called in and took a few weeks off, just in case. Uses some of my vacation days too. I really shouldn't have done it like that but they were happy to give it to me."

I nodded and watched as Luke took Carter's arm after he was no longer constricted by the cords. He took the handcuffs from his belt and latched Carter's wrists together (he was in uniform thanks to having multiple uniforms here and at his apartment). He helped Carter out of the truck to stretch as Francis opened the garage door.